• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

synthetic oil thoughts

I run Mobil 1 and have for close to 30 years in the cars and trucks. Had great luck with this oil.

With that said, I also change the oil and filter every 5-6,000 miles on my pick up. I do not let it go to over 10,000 mil.es like some do.

I also put synthetic in my rear end and that helped my mileage.

Some may say it is not needed but I have run synthetic oil in all my vechiles since my new 1975 T-Bird. I can also say not one of the cars or trucks I have owned since have ever given me one issue in regards to the engine.

Maybe the fact I watch my oil changes, maybe not. Maybe is was or is the synthectic oil, maybe not but I will never stop using it as it has served me well over tha last 38 years.

My thoughts on synthetic oils are this.........The vehicle manual will specify which oil you should use, and the oil change intervals, with regular pulling the dipstick to check level. This is what a person should do.

I once thought I knew more than the manufacturer on which oil should be used, and I deviated from their recommendations.........and paid a mighty price for it.

I like synthetics and have used them ever since I bought a a used Suburban from a guy that used it since new. I could look inside the valve cover and clearly see the gasket and the clean gray cast head. He told me how it didn't leave any deposits and that was obvious.

That was during my stint working for an engine shop where I was working in tear down, disassembling engines for rebuilding. We tore down 100 engines a day easy. I rarely saw an engine in the shop that was clean and gray cast colored in the oil areas (tops of the heads, the valley, and inside the crank case). Many were clean but stained the color of motor oil, most were just dirty, greasy, black pigs with the worst being caked with thick black, waxy grease from people not changing their oil maybe ever. The amount of ring wear in the cylinders was predictable by how dirty the engine was. Pretty much a guarantee is got worse the dirtier an engine was.

I've been sold on synthetic ever since. I just traded off my 1996 Chev 1/2 ton with a Votec 350 and 213,000 miles. I wasn't religious about oil changes but got them done at least seasonally with synthetic since it was new. The engine is still tight, no leaks and purrs down the Interstate like a truck with half the miles. ALWAYS started in the cold without laboring during cranking, no knocks, no smoke. I couldn't ask for better. 13.5 mpg when new and 13.5 mpg at 213,000 cruising the highway.

I've also experienced easier starting with my lawn tractor/snow blower with synthetic. I knew this was the case but went into this winter with some conventional oil I put in it after doing some engine work over the summer. It was TOUGH starting it in the cold. I dropped the semi-fresh conventional and put in some synthetic and had instant starting improvement.

Sorry to be long winded but I'm a believer.

My thoughts exactly!!! My '11 Silverado calls for DEXOS and that's what I use. I also have it serviced at the Chevy dealer because it doesn't cost that much more than doing it myself, they at least look over other items on the truck and I am getting too old to crawl under it!!!

Mike

What's dexos? Yes, I know it's oil (or maybe the oil spec), but just a new-fangled name for a synthetic or synthetic blend, or a new spec developed to get a cut of licensing fees from anyone that wants to sell an approved oil?

What's dexos? Yes, I know it's oil (or maybe the oil spec), but just a new-fangled name for a synthetic or synthetic blend, or a new spec developed to get a cut of licensing fees from anyone that wants to sell an approved oil?

Yeah I did a quick search for Dexos and pretty much every site was from GM, that was the first site not associated with GM. There are probably better more impartial ones out there explaining it, I just wasn't willing to search much more.