• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old schoold baits that still catch fish?

Superduty

Like the title says, What old baits do you still catch fish with?

I was on a good post spawn Spook bite last summer and wanted my son to get in on the action. He hasn't mastered "walking the dog" yet so I tied a Jitterbug on his line. I caught bigger fish on the spook but he was whacking 'em with the old Jitterbug too! I gave it some new hooks and an extra split ring or two and the hookups were pretty solid.

Daredevils might catch pike, but the Dardevle catches more laugh

Seriously though, I third this. They not only are fantastic for pike, but silver salmon as well. Heck if I were to go fishing anywhere in fresh or salt water and I had no idea what kind of predators were around, there is a high probability I'd START with either a red/white or a silver dardevle.

Prop baits have gone out of fashion, but they are FUN to fish. They've always worked best on smallmouth for me. Trust me, they still work!

My favorite daredevil pattern; silver and dark purple. For kicks I bought a knock off daredevil kit where they came in sizes from 1" to 5" and I was catching sunnies and crappies on the smaller ones, bass on the mid size, and pike on the large. If I could only use 1 lure the rest of my life hands down I would pick the daredevil. It doesnt get any more classic than that.

Black or white marabou jig and hair jigs in general have to top my list. My panic box is full of them.

Prop baits like a Devil's Horse are right up there too.

Smithwick Devilhorse, Hula Popper, Jitter Bug, One Minus, Weed Walker, Dan Gapen yellow ugly bug and the orange and brown ones are killers on river smallmouth. Some of the old inline Mepps spinners are still worth tossing. I would rather throw a wood plug then a plastic one myself so that might be my definition of an old lure.

How about the pre-rigged plastic worms. Thought they were kinds dumb until my B-Law who doesn't fish much started nailing bass with one after I laughed at him for using it. I bought a few after that. They work good for 1-2lb bass and panfish in clear lakes up north.

My dad also loved the Crazy Crawler. Kinda was a complicated bait with those metal arms/flappers. Don't know if I saw him catch anything with it, but I heard stories about the times he nailed them with it.

Anyone remember the "shimmy shad's" or the "sassy shad's"? They came out in the mid 80's and i used to slaughter bass on them. Then they kind of went away or never really became that popular. Now of course their are so many swim bait style plastics available.