• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trade in Value?

LMITOUT

Has anyone traded their ATV on a new model? Is it worth the hassle trailering it to the dealer or do they low-ball you pretty badly? I understand that typically you'll get more selling it to a private party, but wasn't sure how much of a haircut you'll take when trading. Lets say an ATV could get $5500 on the market. What would a dealer typically offer in your experiences?

also with a trade, that gets deducted from the purchase price, hence less tax. so 1000 would be less. but I never had very good luck with trade in, my last one I decided just to keep it for a spare, and let others use, and do all the work at my place. the new one is just for play.

Good point on the taxes.

Right now Yamaha has a promotion offering $500 if you trade so that is another incentive to consider...as long as the dealer doesn't offer you $500 less than he usually would on a trade in.

There is a blue book on them just like for cars. My personal experience has been that trading at a dealership only works if you have a model that is in fairly high demand where they know they can get a fast turnaround and good price for it.

The last trade in I did was up by Ashland, Wi. I wanted to sell my wife's Polaris Trail Boss 325 and they had a RZR 800 that came from a guy I knew with only 80 miles on it. I called the dealers in southern Mn and sent pictures and the best they would do an a new RZR was 800 dollars for the TB. I called back to the dealer in Wisconsin and he gave me 1900 plus the RZR was listed under market value so I did very well. That was the exception though, not the rule.

I would say the dealer is going to want to make at least 1000-1500 on any trade in because they will need to go through it, service it, eat any repairs they may miss, and they need to feed their kids.

There is a blue book on them just like for cars. My personal experience has been that trading at a dealership only works if you have a model that is in fairly high demand where they know they can get a fast turnaround and good price for it.

The last trade in I did was up by Ashland, Wi. I wanted to sell my wife's Polaris Trail Boss 325 and they had a RZR 800 that came from a guy I knew with only 80 miles on it. I called the dealers in southern Mn and sent pictures and the best they would do an a new RZR was 800 dollars for the TB. I called back to the dealer in Wisconsin and he gave me 1900 plus the RZR was listed under market value so I did very well. That was the exception though, not the rule.

I would say the dealer is going to want to make at least 1000-1500 on any trade in because they will need to go through it, service it, eat any repairs they may miss, and they need to feed their kids.

but they make plenty on your new purchase, so why do they need to make that much money on your trade? as far as I am concerned, they made plenty on the new purchase, so they should be happy making 100 bucks on your trade, its a wiw win for them.