• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grey water requirements in minnesota

coonchaser

I don't have the MPCA rule book handy but have worked with them enough to believe that you would still need to run it through your treatment system be that a private septic or a community wastewater treatment plant. I would bet that they will consider any water coming from your plumbing to be contaminated unless every drop is either tested or run through an approved and compliant treatment system. That is the way they operate.Obviously you could try doing and end around on them but my guess is they would not be too kind or understanding if they ever got wind of it.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for gray water, can it be run out on the ground or can it be put into an old drain field etc...thanks

I think those kind of regulations are up to the county. Check with the guy there, or look at the county web site.

Coon, before I will comment, can you tell me your definition of grey water? Not trying to be flippant or a smart@ss but many people call different things by the same name. You might be calling water from your kitchen sink or shower grey water while others will call water from the draintile grey water. Big difference in these and what is allowed to be untreated.

Years ago you could dump your floor drain, laundry, and kitchen into a sump type basket and pump it to the exterior.....Not anymore...+1 on what purple floyd said....if you have condensate from a furnace or a/c humidifier ect.....you can dump to the outside

Is you septic non compliant or has it failed? Big difference. A non compliant septic may work just fine. The county changes the rules, presto you are non compliant.

Failure has effluent going where it shouldn't and needs to be fixed, although there are those out in the rural areas with septics that run into a field or ditch or connect to tile system...