• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor tank

harvey lee

I have always had issues trying to run the motor at home, to check how the impeller is doing with those ear muff's.

The other day I got a large plastic tank from a friend and cut it to height to fit between the motor and the boat as high as possible so it would be it was sitting in water.

I drilled a hole on the side towards the bottom and put a valve in the hole. Then I have a hose to hook up to the drain so I can do this in the garage and then open the valve and run the water outside the garage.

Worked like a dream.

Took a little bit of work and $20 but now I can run the motor at home with no fears of running it without water. The ear muffs never got enough water to go through the motor to check the telltale stream to see the condition of the impeller.

I know, I have way to much time on my hands.

It's all put away in the shed.

I took a 55 gallon plastic barrel, measured from the floor up to the point where the motor attaches to the transom. I then cut that barrel to that heigth with a jig saw.

Then a purchased a ball valve and a brass fitting to go into the ball valve and the other end I slide a hose onto it. I had to cut the end of the hose as I could not use the hose fitting. I guess one could have purchased a fitting so the hose would have screwed onto the pipe fitting out of the valve. For the part of the valve that goes to the plastci tank, I put a pipe nipple in the valve and then put it through the barell and put a lock washer and a nut on the fitting to hold it in place. I maybe should hacve used a rubber grommet to get a better seal but it only leaked maybe a pint in a half hour while I ran the motor.

I tilted the motor up so I could slide the barrel under on up the back of the motor, then tilted it back down. Then I filled the bareel to the top and left the hose ru8n just a little while I was running the motor so the water level in the barrel would not drop while I ran it as you will pump some water out through the water pump.

When I was done, I opened the valve and draind the water onto the street.

Beat using the ear muff's all to heck.