• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moms - need your help with suggestions for giving meds to a child that really doesn't want it.

Hello Mom's of FM. (Dad's are welcomed as well)

I need some suggestions to give a 4yr girl liquid antibiotics for a double ear infection. It's my girlfriend's child and she will get out of control fighting and spitting said meds and not taking the correct dosage. We are forcing it down her (very little of it) and this is not a good experince for any of us especially her.

HELP - what do I do?

Did they flavor it properly? We recently picked up some antibiotics for a double ear infection in the 6yo. She complained about how horrible it was. We brushed it off, until grandpa tried a drop himself and it did taste horrible. He brought it back to the pharmacy and they put some more flavoring in it. She was fine with it then.

Or, maybe it has nothing to do with the flavor.

Is it ok to mix with food? Yogurt or something? I dont know, but maybe something to research.

Tell her to talk to the doctor, she may be able to get another form of the medicine. Antibiotics can also be given as a shot. Or maybe just diluted or a shot. One of my kids hated all forms of pain reliever except bubble gun flavored liquid.

Taste it then you will be better able to know what to mix it with. Maybe a little ice cream or apple sauce. We always gave our son a choice: this way or this way? That way he felt he had a little control over what he had to do, because we explained he would have to do one or the other. This started at age 3.

Thanks for all the replies. I should've been more detailed.

Tried ice cream - fail

Juice - fail

I don't know what else her mom tried, but nothing has worked as far as mixing it with something. Mom did try it and said it tastes horrible and smells bad to.

Mom also called the Dr. office to see about getting a shot and apparently they don't want to do that. They mentioned the ice cream route, forcing it down her route, and talking to the child to explain it will make her ears feel better and she could care less.

The only thing that has partially worked is forcing it down her and to me that's just not right as I've never witnessed a child behave like that before, but if we have to we have to.

Sad deal, I don't want her in pain and don't want to be the one that holds her down. It should NOT be this difficult, but alas it is. UGH!

I don't know what else her mom tried, but nothing has worked as far as mixing it with something. Mom did try it and said it tastes horrible and smells

Take it back to the pharmacy! We went through this last week. They did not flavor it. It makes a world of difference.

Mom made another Dr appt. They are their now. She's going to try to go the shot route. However, this (to me) is bending over backwards for something we don't need to do.

In the childs mind she won this battle (she doesn't have to take said medicine), well until she sees the needle.

I asked her to call Walgreens and see what they can do, but nope. She's not my kid so I can only influence, but that only goes so far.

Thanks everyone