• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You Tube is soooo slowwww

Why is You Tube so dang slow? I have a cable internet connection with 25Mbps speed. It starts to play then stops to buffer and takes forever to start again. It runs for a bit then stops again.

I'm going to reset my equipment because Comcast just doubled my speed for no extra cost. I hope that helps!

IIRC, all youtube videos will only buffer out so far if the resolution is in automatic. If you manually select an option, it will buffer the entire video instead of just the next 10 seconds. I believe you can make this happen in your youtube preferences. I recall doing something like that to fix this issue.

If you choose 480 or less it will play. If you try HD it will buffer like crazy. PC, tablet, doesn't matter. My tablet is set to always play in HD and usually does except for when YouTube is going though one of its spells.

It is doing the same thing tonight.

I think ISP's are starting to throttle YouTube streaming.

A good example. I had problems with this video last night, horrible time watching it. So I tried it again tonight....same thing.

I just read this tip:

Go to YouTube and scroll to the bottom of the page. Click on "Try something New" and select HTML5. The theory behind the buffering is an issue between Flash and YouTube.

I just tried it and I'm watching your video perfectly in 1080p.

I have 25MB through Mediacom. What is the common denominator in all of this?

It seems to come and go. It will work for months and then run into this sluggish period for a day or three.

Wouldn't be the first time there were weird issues with mediacoms routing. They may have an old route in place or they may be on a back up line somewhere that routes to youtube. I wasn't on it a lot yesterday/lastnight but the few I did watch seemed OK. Century Link at home and an Enventis business line at work.

Or it could it be they are throttling streaming media. We had so many issues with streaming media like youtube etc at work we wound up blocking access to for most staff.

Hey guys, try this, it works!

This is just a command to add a simple firewall rule. Definition below:

from an elevated command prompt:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YouTube" dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

From the bloggers blog:

Why do these commands create a better streaming experience? TWC ISPs are throttling downloads from servers (CDN) that host cached videos. By rejecting these IP address ranges you will force the video to be served to you directly. This harnesses the full download speed of your internet connection.

1080p doesn't seem to be troublesome on Charter with a 30Mbps connection. It's not 100% perfectly smooth but that could be my low end video card. Not getting any buffering timeouts (with no special settings in place).

winner winner chicken dinner.

So there were DDoS attacks a few months ago (another time when YouTube slowed down AND NO OTHER SITES DID)?

smirk

The chicken dinner is still up for grabs, folks. Place your bets...

YouTube does conduct maintenance to an extent. Not only with their own (Google's) servers but also within the application also. Not to mention they have been shifting things about with the advent of the new channel interface and other upgrades like Dtro mentioned "Feather".

Quote:
"Feather" Beta

This is an opt-in beta for "Feather" support on YouTube. The "Feather" project is intended to serve YouTube video watch pages with the lowest latency possible. It achieves this by severely limiting the features available to the viewer and making use of advanced web techniques for reducing the total amount of bytes downloaded by the browser. It is a work in progress and may not work for all videos.

Your comments will help us improve and perfect the mixtures we're working on. So jump in, play around, and send your feedback directly to the brains behind the scenes.

Feather has caused some bad blood with buffering issues across YouTube. YouTube's answers is that it will be eventually fixed. smile

Well I just tried that video above and I can't get it past 4 seconds without buffering.

Not with Chrome, not with FF, not with Infinity, and not with 4G

Hmmm...just finished watching the first three and a half minutes clicked up to 1080p and worked fine though IE9.

LOL, using Google Chrome has smooth play off the bat with no problems at all until mid way through when I decided to "X" out the pop up ad and boom. Yep, instant buffering and non-stop buffering after all the way.

Weird huh?