• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scatter Rap

Does anyone have any feedback on the new Scatter Rap? I don't think many people, other than Rapala pro staff, have had a chance to check them out yet. My first thought is that they might be good for lead core trolling because they have that erratic action on their own. When I'm casting cranks I can put that action into my retrieve. However when I'm trolling lead core, it's more of a steady pull so this might create more strikes. I'll be picking up a couple to give them a try.

I like what I've read and watched about them and I think they'll be good at times trolling with leadcore, snapweights or even behind downriggers (and maybe even casting) but I don't like the prices on them. Even so, I'm going to buy some to give them a try.

It seems like whenever Rapala comes out with a new lure, they're never cheap. I see the clacken raps on clearance once and a while now. I never did well with them.

I might pick up a minnow or two, but the shad is what I had my eye on. I'll be looking to hear feedback from those that have tried it.

It seems like whenever Rapala comes out with a new lure, they're never cheap. I see the clacken raps on clearance once and a while now.

Even when they go on clearance they still end up being around $8 cry

I like the fact that the Husky Jerks seem to be one of the cheaper Rapala lures, for $4.99-$5.99 that's the perfect price point for a proven fish catching lure.!

With that said, I picked a few of the Scatter Minnow Raps up at the Sports Show and can't wait to give them a test run.

Yeah, seems like most Rapala lures are $8-10 now.

I can't help but buy 'em though. I'm a sucker for Rapala.

I'm with you. They are definitely expensive, but they always run true out of the box and they hold up very well. If I can just avoid getting them caught in the rocks casting from shore on the river, they've lasted me years and years without needing to do any maintenance except a hook change now and then.

From what I've heard the Scatter Rap is supposed to run per normal at slower speeds and, when sped up, the erratic action supposedly starts. In theory, this seems like it could potentailly be a great trolling lure as some have suggested above. I guess we won't know until it's seen in action in person.

If it does work - next year they'll probably put some feathers on the tail and sell scatter rap x's. The year after that they'll put a clack in the center and sell the clackin' scatter raps. The year after that... you guessed it... clackin' scatter x rap lol! Rapala has mastered the art of the crankbait and has also mastered the art of opening anglers' wallets smile.

If it does work - next year they'll probably put some feathers on the tail and sell scatter rap x's. The year after that they'll put a clack in the center and sell the clackin' scatter raps. The year after that... you guessed it... clackin' scatter x rap lol! Rapala has mastered the art of the crankbait and has also mastered the art of opening anglers' wallets smile.

LMAO!

I admit, it will definitely work on me!

Now that's funny right there. You're spot-on with that... That’s exactly what they have been doing with every other lure. Rapala has become masters at marketing.

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard from anyone on Rapala's pro staff yet. I would assume there have been some people who have had a chance to test these last year. Apparently none that visit this forum...

"I'm a little surprised we haven't heard from anyone on Rapala's pro staff yet. I would assume there have been some people who have had a chance to test these last year. Apparently none that visit this forum...

Buy one of them in every color and size, they're the only lure you'll need to catch every species in all sizes on all waters! They work all seasons and every day, with the right selection and the right retrieve wink

My favorite rapala lure to this day is a jointed deep diving shad rap, with jointed floaters in a close second. I love rapala products, but x-raps/clackin raps/gliding raps/all their topwaters have failed to exceed some of their older models in fish production in my boat. They still catch fish and are fun to use though.

I buy just about every new rapala that comes out every year eek I blame in-fisherman and lindner's angling edge. Needless to say, I'm going to fleet farm today, and I will be buying a scatter rap(s).

The clackin' rap is my favorite. I was scared to use it at first because at $12, I didn't want to lose it. But my very 1st fish on it was a 9.25 pound walleye! Since then it has been an absolute smallie and whitey killer!

One thing I would really like to know, is at what speed does the scatter rap start the erratic action? For trolling use, this would be an important piece of information.

It's to hear that others have had success with clacken cranks. I haven't had a ton of success with them. I'll have to give them another try. My favorites- Shad Raps, Husky Jerks, original floaters, x-raps.

I am kind of in the same boat as you Fishead. I want to hear how others do with these baits and what applications before I fork out 9 bucks for them and I might still just work my tried and true baits just from a sheer cost standpoint. Nine bucks to lose a bait to a snag or a bite off is a considerable sum in my book.

Tunrevir~

I almost bought one of the scatter rap minnows last week, but the lip on that thing was huge. I mostly use raps for casting, and I feel like that would cut down on casting distance significantly.