• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats your go to spinner rig?

Been a few years since I have been in the trolling game. Pretty much became a shore fisherman. I plan on changing that this year. At the time I was trolling a lot of DL area lakes with a good friend of mine a 16" 12-14lb trilene XT leader with a Colorado blade in a size 4 hammered brass, red beads, and number 6 sized hook was the ticket.

So whats the first style of spinner rig you go to when fishing this way? With the advancements made in fishing line I am guessing something is better to use than XT? I was thinking some maxima or gamma but I dont know how well that would work for a trolling leader.

For a spinner rig the line to use now is flourocarbon, or flouro. The reason is that flouro is very tough, it won't wear through where the spinner runs and it is less likely to twist up on you as it is also kind of stiff. You where using XT (extra tough) for these reasons.

My go to rig depends on the lake, but it's hard not to mess with hammered gold or copper, and green and/or red beads. I pull alot of number 4 and 5 blades. I use #2 Mustad short shank wide gap hooks and all my crawler harnesses. I have found that these hooks have a tremendous hookup, and hold on so you lose less fish on the way up.

For a spinner rig the line to use now is flourocarbon, or flouro. The reason is that flouro is very tough, it won't wear through where the spinner runs and it is less likely to twist up on you as it is also kind of stiff. You where using XT (extra tough) for these reasons.

My go to rig depends on the lake, but it's hard not to mess with hammered gold or copper, and green and/or red beads. I pull alot of number 4 and 5 blades. I use #2 Mustad short shank wide gap hooks and all my crawler harnesses. I have found that these hooks have a tremendous hookup, and hold on so you lose less fish on the way up.

what weight and brand are you running on the flouro? Does it matter on what snell knot you use? Can I use the quick wrap with flouro? I was using flouro for a while when I first got into vertical jigging with super braid lines. I just use a straight braid to the jig now. Most of the lakes I fished the water quality was very stained and I didnt feel as I was gaining anything vertical jigging accept a extra knot/ breaking point.

I use 14lb flouro for my Minnesota fish and 17-20lb flouro for big water fish (Green Bay and such). I use the quick snell for my hook connections and don't have a problem. I will sometimes use a #6 treble for the back hook. Some people swear by them, I am undecided if it's a worthy upgrade or not. Almost all of my harnesses are 6'+ but shorter than 8', but I do shorten it down to around 4' when I am fishing in the rocks. I said IN the rocks. You will be surprised at how many fish you can pull out of a rockpile by going in and digging them out with spinner harnesses.

All of my rigs are two hook harnesses with 4" between the hooks for most, 5" on the big fish harnesses.

I use 14lb flouro for my Minnesota fish and 17-20lb flouro for big water fish (Green Bay and such). I use the quick snell for my hook connections and don't have a problem. I will sometimes use a #6 treble for the back hook. Some people swear by them, I am undecided if it's a worthy upgrade or not. Almost all of my harnesses are 6'+ but shorter than 8', but I do shorten it down to around 4' when I am fishing in the rocks. I said IN the rocks. You will be surprised at how many fish you can pull out of a rockpile by going in and digging them out with spinner harnesses.

All of my rigs are two hook harnesses with 4" between the hooks for most, 5" on the big fish harnesses.

x2. I use 14lb Vanish flouro and yet to get bit off from any species. Colorado blade in the bright perch colors have been the ticket for me with green beads. I am excited to see MNfishinguy likes the mustad hooks I picked some of those up this winter after seeing how much Gary Parsons and Keith K like them. I tend to go shorter on the worm harn. though only about 3" in between hooks.

I like the quick change clevis for changing blades. I like the Colorado blades. I've experimented with Indiana and WillowLeaf blades but had much better succes with the Colorado. I have used the Hatchet blades but didn't work well for me

Depends on your forage what kind of blade to use. I fish one lake where you use orange/chart or you dont get bit, end of story. Its full of crawfish. But I usually use lime/chart, orange/chart, gold, hammered silver. Metallic colors work better early where I fish, which is the Missouri river usually. I use 15# Stren Big game. Works fine and its dirt cheap. I use Gamakatsu octopus hooks, usually 3 #4s, sometimes two. I bought my hooks from Amazon for $14 a 100pack. Next time I am switching to #2 hooks.

The lake I fish most is stained water with a good perch base.With that I like a Indiana firetiger blade,size 3 or 4,with green,chart.,& orange faceted beads(5 or 6mm).I seem to do better with a #2 baitholder hook & 1/2 a crawler too.Hammered gold,brass,& silver with a 4-6' snell work at times too.