• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom Mount Trolling Motor

Question

I have an 18' single console Tuffy with a 150 mercury. The bow mount works great in calmer waters but in rough waves boat control gets difficult. If I have to switch to the big motor it doesn't always allow for a slow enough pass when thats the presentation the fish want.

I would like to try a transom mount unit but am unsure where to start. How much thrust is needed? Is shaft length a big concern on a transom mount? What should a guy expect to spend to get the unit rigged correctly? Much additional expense to reconfigure the wave wackers?

Thanks for any response. One last thing. Can anyone reccomend a good a good place to go to get the rigging done in the cities. The Tuffy dealer is in Red Wing and not really convenient given my work responsibilities and travel obligations.

IceAge

13 answers to this question

Ice,

I'd go for the Minnkota, Riptide, Saltwater version for your rear trolling motor--I'm not happy with the Maxxum's power or quality.

Long shaft, too. You can get the Riptides from Cabelas

I have an 1800 ProV Tiller witha 90Hp Merc. My Maxxum is a 65lb and it's barely enough in 2 footers on a back troll. I'm firing it this year.

Whackers--by the way, if you're going to do any back trolling get some kind of splash guards--they're worth their weight in Gold.

------------------
Chells

Ice. Just some thoughts on backtrolling if your new to that style. I backtroll in calm conditions only. To me, there is no reason to fight waves when backtrolling. Its a waste of battery energy. Front trolling allows for better boat control in windy conditions. Any white capping on the water to me is considered windy. My partner and I both run the 1650 Lund Explorer. He runs the Maxxum 74T and is really happy with its performance. I run the Vantage 101. You will only have to get a 36V male plug that goes to the batteries and Minn-kota supplies you with the jumpers that are needed for the third battery. Add an on board charger and the 36V system can't be beat. They draw less amps than the 24 and 12 volt motors.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is much appreciated.

Derek, I generally do prefer to use the bow mount but my boat has a very high bow and in rough water the prop for the trolling motor porpoises (sp) a great deal making boat control very tough.

I know I could look at some other options in these conditions. A longer shaft on the bow mount. Drifting and adjusting the speed of the drift with drift socks etc. But the bow mount already takes up enough space as it is and my experience as a weekend fisherman with drift socks has been that the process of using them and taking care of them is a little "high maintenence".

What I usually end up doing in these conditions is back & front trolling with the big motor while quartering the waves. But in order to keep my speed right while doing this it usually means taking the boat in and out of gear a lot. Not to mention that steering the boat from the console can also be less than precise, a little uncomfortable and tends to take my concentration off the fish too much.

I thought the transom mount trolling motor might be a more versatile option with the ability for more precise boat speed and more precise boat control. Please let me know if I'm way off base here.

Chells - How is the boat control with your transom mount unit. Is it easier to stick to a precise trolling pattern than with the big motor. I have to assume the speed control is much better.

Thanks again.

IceAge

[This message has been edited by IceAge (edited 02-05-2003).]

Ice,

If wind permits, I'll opt for the Trolling motor over my 90hp Tiller every time. It's quieter, less work and no fumes.

I've been a Tiller person all my life so I've gotten pretty good at boat control, e.g. speed and steering over the years. I adjust the trim on the 90hp based on the wind and size of waves bashing my transom--thank God for Whackers!

I also have a Bow Mount Maxxum with foot control. I use it mostly for pitching Jigs, etc. along Cabbage lines or working flooded timber like what you see in the SD lakes like Waubay. I don't use it for trolling at any speed. I'm mostly a live bait user, but if I troll cranks or spinners I can troll-down my 90hp easily and save my deep cell power.

My boat is rigged for 24-Volts, If I had a heavier or bigger boat than the ProV 1800 I'd go 36 Volt hands down.

------------------
Chells

Ice...Sorry for the late reply. Was on Vaca. in Florida (where I did some ocean fishing). I run a 1775 Lund Pro V. There are 3 things on my rig that I would not be without. My on-board charger, X-15 Lowrance sonar/gps unit, and my Minkota Vantage 74. I would not even think about looking at another transom mount trolling motor. There is a 4:1 (Prop turn to handle turn) ratio on them. This allows you to spin the prop 180 degrees without hanging over the backside of the boat. Also the prop telescopes up for water travel. No need to tilt, pull up or whatever. Just hold the button then go. It also can easily be switch from a front troller to a backtroller or vice versa in seconds. Mine is the 24 volt system, 74 lbs of thrust and works great with my rig. If I would ever step up to a larger rig I may think about going to the 36 volt I believe 101 lbs of thrust. I've been out there in some extreme conditions and been able to move around alright. Oh yes, like the other posts say, a pair of good quality splashguards are a must. WaveWacker makes a set specifically for the Vantage trolling motors and NO I don't have an affiliation to them. Good Luck!

Originally Posted By Derek Johnston:

"All I use is a transom mount, I don't have a bowmount."

Sorry Derek, I misunderstood your second post when a I read it. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Chells, WaveWacker, Derek etc.

Thank you for the additional comments. I am definately going to look into the Riptide and the Vantage.

It appears like a 36 volt transom mount system could be an attractive option. How would this affect my present 24 volt bow mount set-up? New bow mount too?

My present 24 volt system allows for much longer periods of use between charges than the 12 volt system in my old boat. I assume the same increase in performence could be had moving up to a 36 volt system?

As for the splash guards. I do have a pair of wave wackers and it sounds like there are already pre-fabricated adaptions for some of the transom mount set-ups mentioned here. It would sure make navigating this issue much simpler.

Again thanks for the help. This site is a wealth of information.

IceAge

Derek,
I find it interesting that you dont use a bow mount. Is this just a personal preference or is it a trend in fishing?

I have a maxxum bow mount and The reason I dont like it is because I like to fish from the rear of the boat. There is more room there for a 6'5" guy.

I was thinking of getting a power drive with the electronic foot controller and 18' cord so I could use it in the back.

Maybe after viewing this discussion, My best option would be to just get a transom mount.

I have never been much of a backtroller but maybe it is time to learn.

Do you do any bass fishing? I sometimes like to use my trolling motor to slowly work my way along the shore, casting. Do you think the transom mount would be a lot more inconvenient than the hands free controll of the bow mount?

Thanks for the time,
Dave

Hello Big Dave, if you talk to most anglers, its more of a personal preference. I like the rear of the boat because my transom mounted transducers are more stable and will give me better readings in windy conditions. I can also move from foward trolling to backtrolling in a matter of seconds in less windy conditions.
I seldom fish bass other than smallies on Mille Lacs. If you like to fish bass, the bow mount with foot control would be a better option for you.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here