• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 Sturgeon Synopsis

After a tough spearing season, looking at the big picture, I believe the guy upstairs does this purposely in order to preserve this blessing we are able to enjoy every february. Our upriver lakes are based on a lottery system with about 500 tags drawn each year, with a 7-9yr wait right now. Winnebago goers can buy an OTC tag every year. The Upriver had good water clarity and tipped the quota on day 2. Winnebago had poor clairity and sketchy ice conditions which limited where you could spear thus making it very tough, and the season lasted all 16days with only 300 some fish taken. The way I look it at it, is that's hundreds of more fish to be speared next year. Our biologists that run this season have invested their lives into this, it's more than just a job for them. They have boasted the fish population and the sizes just my simple management procedures. Bless them!!

Take a read here to see what I'm talking about.

WI DNR Sturgeon Synopsis 2013

Overall, I was able to get out and enjoy the season. Though I was in the prime area and plenty of fish were speared near me, my luck was not with me this year. I honestly had chosen not to go due to the ice, but seeing we had found decent ice and traveling near oshkosh I ventured forth with my dad and friends. Still fun no matter what. Hoping for a better year next year.