• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line do you use...

I am wondering what line would you use for mainly jigging in the river. Mono doesnt seem to be sensitive enough for me but is braided with a fluoro leader a good idea? I am just wondering what the river rats recommend. Thanks.

"I use braid with a flouro leader, just like you are thinking."

+1 BUT!! grin I also have 6 lb flouro on my other spool for when the temps get below freezing, as braid will freeze in your guides.

"I use braid with a flouro leader, just like you are thinking."

+1 BUT!! grin I also have 6 lb flouro on my other spool for when the temps get below freezing, as braid will freeze in your guides.

+2 Above freezing gets hi-vis Fireline no leader and below gets Stren Flourocast 6lb.

The 832 doesn't hold much water compared to others due to the gore fibers in it. That is what I use all winter long on pool#4. I also use the 832 leadcore as well to reduce the line freeze. Last weekend it was 5F when we started out. The guides freezing were a much bigger issue than the line freezing on the reel.

Braid

#10 powerpro hiviz

#10 Sufix 832 ghost

lately im becoming a fan of Berkley's Nanofil #10 hiviz

it does not seem to retain any water since its gel spun and out casts any other line i have

word of caution, it cast so well a few of my jigs ended up on shore/rocks lol

i also put on 4' of #10-#12mono or fluro leader with a uni to uni knot

when connecting thin superlines to leader i recommend doubling it first before connecting and will help against it cuttin through the leader

and a dab of fishing glue for a lil extra reassurance

Thats what I love about a lot of you guys. Someone asks what they perceive to be a dumb question (not saying it is because I wasn't sure what the knot was either) and right away, somebody helps out.

I am in the same boat as the original poster. I have old line that I am about to re-spool. I use straight up power pro fishing the weeds on Minnetonka with a spinning reel. For drifting I will rig up another rod with a braid main line and mono leaders.

My questions are:

#1) Does the original power pro perform better on spinning reels than the super slick?

#2) When trolling/casting crank baits does a leader for visibility make sense? Or do you just use straight braid?

Hey Scott, welcome aboard! I have used regular PP on spinning reels but have not tried the slick. I do really like the nanofil for spinning reels howrever, and it has alot of the same properties as the PP and Suffix. When I am casting cranks I genrally tie direct with the braid to the bait unless I am fishing clear water then I will add a mono/fluro to the end. Trolling I also tie direct or to a duolock snap. Anyone ever experiment with running one direct tie bait while fishing a duolock to the bait on the second line? It seems to give a subtle change to the wobble of the bait and at times one can out produce the other but some days it doens't seem to make a difference. If you aren't getting bit while tying direct with the braids then throw on a 3-5' piece of mono and see if your luck changes. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

Hey Scott, welcome aboard! I have used regular PP on spinning reels but have not tried the slick. I do really like the nanofil for spinning reels howrever, and it has alot of the same properties as the PP and Suffix. When I am casting cranks I genrally tie direct with the braid to the bait unless I am fishing clear water then I will add a mono/fluro to the end. Trolling I also tie direct or to a duolock snap. Anyone ever experiment with running one direct tie bait while fishing a duolock to the bait on the second line? It seems to give a subtle change to the wobble of the bait and at times one can out produce the other but some days it doens't seem to make a difference. If you aren't getting bit while tying direct with the braids then throw on a 3-5' piece of mono and see if your luck changes. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

+1

i use a snap on all my crankbaits

1. i also think they allow more wobble

2. makes it alot easier to change baits

3. for the love of god i cant tie a rapala knot lol

i have tried Slick8 in a spinning and baitcaster setup and it does cast better then regular pp probably just as good as nanofil.

however, i personally found it less abrasion resistance then other superlines or nanofil so i stopped using it.

maybe it was just a bad spool, my dumb luck or something werid and i've thought about givin it another try someday

I have never really liked the icing that occurs with braids when fishing in the cold and I also am a bit averse to to them for this reason. I have to admit, I dont fish Suffix on a regular basis but I really dislike all braids for shallow water jigging especially for panfish. even the lightest of the braids I have tried still coil(even the nano)If fishing for pannies I'd still opt for a limp fluro or Berkley xL.

Tunrevir~