• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making your own lindy rigs.

coombia21

Who all makes their own lindy rigs. I figured that I have some spare time between now and the time the ice breaks up so I figured I might as well give it a try. Anybody done this and do you have any tips for me, maybe some other fishing related things that I could build?

They are so easy to make and buying the beads and spinners and floats is way cheaper when you buy them in bulk. Plus then you can make the snell any size that you want. You can pre make them up or make them as you need them they dont take very long to make. Good luck.

I tie all my own lindy and spinner rigs. I use way better material than you can get in the premade stuff and it's cheaper too.

Tip 1. Use good hooks. I use Mustad Double Wide fine wire live bait hooks. The eyelets are never plugged with varnish or paint, they have great holding power and are SHARP!

Tip 2. Be carefull, see the end of tip 1.

Tip 3. Use good line. This is not the place to save a few bucks. A 100 yard spool will make 37.5 8 foot long snells. Saving $2 per spool on cheap line will save you a nickle per snell. Small savings IMO.

Tip 4. Use a fly tying vise. This is like a magic extra hand. This really makes the job easier. A lighted magnafying lens is a nice help too. Look in the fly tying section of the sports stores or also in the big craft stores for the lens.

Tip 5. Watch a few videos on youtube. A simple snell is what I use.

Tip 6. This is important. Test your snell after you tie it but read tip #2 again. Then read it again. I put the hook in a small loop I have on my bench and gently tug on the line to seat the knot.

Tip 7. I roll mine up on those pool noodles. They are about a buck apiece and come in different colors. I color code mine for different things, hook size, leader length and such. Cut the noodle to fit a Plano 3731, you can get three noodles pieces per Plano, and you get about 16 snells per noodle piece. If the noodle flies out of the boat they float so all is not lost.

I make my own, too, and I use the same storage strategy as mnfishinguy. I actually look forward each spring to going out, buying more components, going down to the bar (because, lacking a TV, I can't watch hockey at home), and making my spinner rigs. If you ever walk into a bar and see some silly-me making spinner rigs while watching hockey, you'll know who it is. smile

I build mine on the fly out of 8lb flouro. Takes up no space in the boat. I use a standard flat box full of weights, spinners, floats, and hooks.

That way each one is made for it's intended use, length, color, type, and weight. Takes up no space in the boat, one flat box and a spool of line.

That reminds me. It's time to inventory that box to create a list to restock it for summer.

I do it two different ways. If I have a small swivel I cut a shallow slit in the noodle lengthwise, put the swivel in the slit and wrap the line around the noodle, hooking the hook into the foam. Nice and neat.

If I just have a look tied on the end I put a series of small slits about 3/4" apart in a row running at a 90 degree angle to the noodle. I then put the loop in the slit and wrap it around. The series of slits works with both swivels and loops.

Using the noodles I have have plenty of snell at the ready because I don't chance a knick in the line. If I think the line has been compromised I just change it out.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

I use 14lb vanish flour, had to many bite offs with 10lb and don't want to waste the expensive blades on a snake. I keep mine to less than 6' unless they are being super finnicky then I'll just downgrade to plain hook and do it on boat. Go to Michaels or some other craft store and they got little kids jewelry box kits which have all the colored beads you want in all colors and is much cheaper than buying from store all seperately. Learn the Snell knot and use it for every one.

Nhamm, keep in mind that Lindy or Roach or live bait rigs are different than spinner rigs, aka crawler harnesses. Each one serves a different purpose and each one will also use different types of line.

Spinner rigs are generally for more active fish, use flourocarbon line to help reduce line twist and are pulled faster than live bait rigs

Bait rigs are generally pulled very slow to entice the neutral to negative fish into biting, are usually made with a lighter strength mono leader that will give the bait a more natural presentation. Flourocarbon is generally to stiff for live bait rigs, unless you are using big creek chubs, then that itself is a different game.

I make all of my rigs,spinner and others, use 14lb test on spinner rigs. I don't use flouro, not noticed any difference in the bite, moving at 1-2mph fish don't get that much time to really look over things. I use small swivels, attach quick clips to end of rigs to change rigs faster. Spinner rigs also have exchange clip on lines.

Where flori comes in handy for spinner rigs is that it is a little bit stiffer than monofilament so you lessen the chance of getting twisted up. Fluorocarbon is pretty tough stuff so when you are pulling big blades like a number 6 or larger you really lessen the chance of having any abrasion on the line from the spinning. A 10 pound walleye smacking your rig at 1 and a half miles an hour puts a tremendous amount of stress on things.

On my big blade rigs I tie them up with 17 or 20 pound fluorocarbon. I use 14 pound fluorocarbon for my normal spinner rigs and 8 pound mono on my Lindy rigs.

True flouro is stiffer and may not present it as equally, but with those conditions usually more time is given for hooksets which in turn baits are well into the fishes mouth for the hookset and personally if it means less fish bc of them not liking the presentation, or cutoff and now possible damage to the fish itself all for the sake of me catching it, I'd rather not have a chance of it at all. May be the lakes I frequent as well with all the stupid lil northerns running around, those lil buggers teeth are as sharp as anything in there.

2012-07-14195538.jpg

I could consolidate this into one box but always tie mine in advance so space is not huge issue. It is more important for me to have things separated and easy to find. smile

All of the beads were purchased at a craft store because of cost and better selection.

The surgical loop seems to work well for me on the on the non business end and a snell knot for the hooks is what I use too. I bring a few extra floats and blades with just in case.