• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seasons ending

Gordie

Well I had another fun year spearing and can't wait for the next one. This year started off extremely well spearing the biggest pike I have ever seen a 39 inch wall hanger at the Winnie GTG, and I ended the year on Friday with a really nice 32.5 inch pike. I have such a blast seeing all of you guys at both of the GTG's, and sharing experiences of this great sport. I can't wait to cut through some thinner ice again and see everyone at Winnie next year.

Bowhunt

It was another great season and it sounds like many other people really enjoyed themselves.

Stats from my journal reflecting this past season:

27 trips to the dark house.

68.5 hours total in dark house

15 different lakes speared across 5 different counties in MN

7 new lakes

.88 average pike seen per hour which includes a few outings of not seeing much, if anything, and a day seeing 8 within 4 different year classes up to the mid 30" range within 2 hours.

It was slower overall on my home lake this pat season, but pretty good on many of the peripheral lakes, including several of the new lakes which will added to the ever growing "go to" list. I noticed a few usually clear lakes were cloudier than normal likely due to lower water levels and a preceding warmer summer and fall.

There are so many good lakes a guy can go to on any given day within an hour or two of home almost anywhere in the state. We are blessed to have so many small to large lakes with requisite water quality and habitat for pike.

.88 average pike seen per hour

which includes a few outings of not seeing much, if anything, and a day seeing 8 within 4 different year classes up to the mid 30" range within 2 hours.

Wow....

That is an average of 7 pike per 8 hour day.....

If I saw an average of 7 pike a day.... I would consider it a little more than a great season.

Especially considering that was on 15 different lakes... I never have much luck on new lakes the first few times.

Great Job!!!

Are you including setup time in your computations?

Of the 60 total pike you saw how many did you take, and how many did you look and release?

Thanks

-Merk

Hey Merc-

I have always had good luck on new lakes - sometimes better than any others.

My calculations do not include set up time. I am very efficient in that department and always have my hole cut and set up before anyone I happen to go with. But I am usually alone. If I don't see anything within an hour, I move. I usually have a few spots picked out on the GPS before I head out. I am typically setting up in the dark and waiting for it get light enough to see.

My permanent sits on proven spots and I typically don't have to sit there very long before I know they are moving or not.

Besides my weekends, I spear before and after work, even if I can only get in an hour or two. I have some incredible days each season, including a morning this year seeing 8 in two hours and another seeing four in an hour before I had to get to work.

Out of all the pike I see, I am pretty selective. I angle for panfish and do take all of those up to my limit every opportunity I get.