• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster with Nils Blade!!!!

quickfish6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Crew Jones I have so much time I might just post another VIDEO just for YOU! It was a nice day and I know people were talking about the strikemaster with the nils on here . So I figured we would show the people what they want. Just an FYI plenty of fish were caught on that day.

there is an adapter on there. I had the auger bought the adapter cause some one else was talking about it. I use the strikemaster. they are local company. The Tanaka would be nice but you can put any nils up to the solo anyday for a nice race.

I had it and wanted to try it. Dont gotta get all ***hurt about it.

Be careful with that Honda/Nils combo, the way your adapter lets the auger wobble will break your transmission. 40:1 v. 24:1 is not a fair comparision, Nils with 11000 rpm engine will spin alot faster, over 400 rpm's into ice with no down pressure.

So would all nils drill bit fit all strikemaster auger head? Will there be any custom to it to fit? Looking at the video, looks like it's a direct fit.

The ice gator Nils adapter will work for a Solo powerhead on a Nils drill bit. Its $30. Do a google search to find it if you want one.

there is an adapter on there. I had the auger bought the adapter cause some one else was talking about it. I use the strikemaster. they are local company. The Tanaka would be nice but you can put any nils up to the solo anyday for a nice race.

I had it and wanted to try it. Dont gotta get all ***hurt about it.

Haha not butthurt about anything bud. I like what you guys are doing testing out different augers on different motors and reporting about it. Just trying to point you in a direction that could get some better results for you. Fact is a sharp NILS AUGER is going to cut a hole faster on a Tanaka powerhead vs. a Solo with the same Nils auger.

It's fun to see how the different combinations perform, thanks for posting the vids. Seriously, try out a Tanaka with a 6" lazer and post a vid on that one.

I have a feeling that the SM/Mora blades might have a bit more of an aggressive cut. That is why there is more torque involved and less RPMs with the Solo motor. I have no idea but just thinking out loud that you might do some damage to the tranny or engine trying a SM blade on a Tanaka head. As suggested a 6” might be ok, but I wonder about anything bigger.

I can tell you this, never once did I ever have issues with the amount of torque with the Nils, but there have been a couple of times the SM has taken me by surprise and in fact just this past weekend, I had a 3hp Lazer Pro slam me to the ice like a rag doll after breaking through. The 12” of snow on the lake was a nice cushion though and it was good entertainment for the peanut gallery.

Thanks Quickfish6 for filming that and posting..

I have a few different combinations so I figured we should try that setup out. The powerpoint head isn't the sharpest but still. Next we will be doing the 8" with a standard cutting head to see if that is any different. I have had that one sharpened by Frank so we will see how it goes. I have a 6" Nils as well so that might be worth a shot.

I have a old Tech powerhead and the Solo has loads more RPMS than that does. Just between the Tech and the Solo there is a huge difference in how the Strikemaster cuts. I know the Tanaka powerhead makes more RPMS but the solo has more torques so I guess that was more of the point of the video. We are in America and torque is what its all about most of the time.. wink

Guess that's what you do in Minnesota when your bored of catching so many fish. YOU TRY SCIENCE!!!! laugh

DTRO is right on in saying the SM Lazer auger is more aggressive than a Nils auger, thus cutting more ice per revolution. This requires high torque like deadeye mentioned.

"We are in America and torque is what it's all about most of the time"

Well Nils are not made in America so maybe that is why Torque is not what it's all about ?? They are all about speed!

The Nils are and Strikemaster are both matched up with powerheads very well. The only possible advantage I see is putting a 6" SM Lazer on the Tanaka.

Stole this from another site:

Quote:
Is the gear reduction on the magnum the same as the lazer mag/pro at 40:1?

That's the big difference with the Tanaka powerhead that comes on Nils augers, the gear reduction is 24:1 so the auger is spinning just under twice as many revolutions with the same engine RPM as it would with gear reduction of 40:1.

With the 24:1 gear reduction comes low torque, so put that Tanaka powerhead on a 8" strikemaster lazer and it won't even be able to turn it. The Nils blades are less aggressive than the strikemaster lazer, requiring less torque, so it can cut at higher RPM's but actual speed through 2' of ice is about the same because it's not taking as much ice with each revolution.

Now, put the high speed Tanaka powerhead on the aggressive 6" strikemaster lazer and BAM, you have one mighty fast auger. The small cutting diameter requires less torque but still has the aggressive blades that rip through ice fast.

Hope people are understanding this, I'm not very good at explaining things but I'll try to overview it.

Tanaka motor = high speed low torque

Solo motor = low speed high torque

SM Lazer 8" Bit = aggressive, fast cutting requiring high torque

8" Nils blade = conservative, easy cutting requiring high speed

SM Lazer 6" Bit = aggressive, fast cutting and small diameter so doesn't need high torque

Solo + 8" Nils = slow

Solo + 8" lazer = fast

Solo + 6" lazer = fast

Tanaka + 8" Nils = fast

Tanaka + 8" lazer = won't drill

Tanaka + 6" lazer = CRAZY fast

Fred,

Good chart setup. Guess that was where I was going with that..

As far as the torque thing, I guess that's kind of a joke. Whatever is the fastest is what counts in my book. I am a turbo import car person so its a inside joke for me. HAHA..

Just thought it would be interesting to see since the Solo has lots more rpms compared to the old Tech motor. Obviously it isn't as fast as the Tanaka but sometimes torque is better than high speed power. Maybe not so much in this case. BUT there is more testing to do so we will see.

I know my two year old 2.5hp Solo with 2 year old blades on a 10in Lazer is quicker to open a hole than my cousins brand new 8in Nils. Drilled 5 holes at the same time and the large diameter Solo beat the nils every time. Wasn't going to race head to head to but a guy in our group said 10in augers are slow GAME ON!!!

I know my two year old 2.5hp Solo with 2 year old blades on a 10in Lazer is quicker to open a hole than my cousins brand new 8in Nils. Drilled 5 holes at the same time and the large diameter Solo beat the nils every time. Wasn't going to race head to head to but a guy in our group said 10in augers are slow GAME ON!!!

I don't think this topic is about which stock auger is faster, it's about combining different powerheads with different blades to see if we can find a "super auger" so to speak.

The original post was showing how a Solo Powerhead is faster with a strikemaster lazer bit than with a nils bit.

I don't think this topic is about which stock auger is faster, it's about combining different powerheads with different blades to see if we can find a "super auger" so to speak.

The original post was showing how a Solo Powerhead is faster with a strikemaster lazer bit than with a nils bit.

I put this old beater together a few years ago for a friend.

This isn't your standard Nils blade. Its been modified to cut a lot more aggressive.

The SM Mag 3 at almost twice the HP then a Tanaka and is geared at much lower RPM handles the blade nicely. The auger with Nils blade is still in use. Much of that to open old holes in the shack and the blade hasn't been sharpened since I mounted it.

Watch more videos here at HSOshow

Pretty cool setup there. Looks like the stock strikemaster pulls out a little bit faster. We are just trying some things to see if we can make an auger just a little bit faster. When we go we will drill 75-100 holes each time out. So 4-5 seconds a hole is a lot of time. Just wanted to share with you what we did . If anyone has a tanaka head we would like to make a video of that with the strikemaster blade. Let me know and WATCH THE VIDEO!

I noticed you were leaning pretty hard on the SM. After 75 holes that might get a little old, not to mention holding back the torque put on the handles from Lazer blades.

The Tanaka is matched to a Nils head. No need to lean on it and no torque on the user, just hang on and let it do all the work. I'm always skeptical about these auger races.

I think the 20 year old SM powerhead with modified Nils blade was faster then your SM and I wasn't leaning on it so it sort of looked effortless smile