• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Perch'n

Several months ago i was given advice from Creepworm of a few SD lakes that pump out some dandy perch: Waubay, Bitter, Lynn, Roy, Reetz, Goose. I've also found that Thompson and Sinai are not bad options either. Considering Gogebic in MI as well...but that's significantly further.

I've never been in that area, would love to spend more than a few days on one of those lakes chasing perch in March. I also haven't looked up the SD regulations yet, but would imagine perch are open year round.

Most likely i'd spend nights on the lake in my portable, but am looking at some general advice to find perch in march, what kind of lake conditions i can expect, suggested vehicle travel (I've got a 2wd car), etc. Maybe even point me to a busy SD forum with some info on the area.

Thanks in advance. I'll take any info i can get.

Good luck.

There is no "busy South Dakota forum" They keep their lips clamped pretty tight, and when they do write a report, its technique, not location specific.

I dont ice fish up there, so I cant help you much, but I'm sure you will get some Pms, so keep an eye out for those coming in..

They just got pounded with 18 inches of snow in the Waubay area on Sunday. Im hearing there is no truck travel on the lakes at all, only snow and track machines.

Its very slow also.

about the best recent report you can get, is on WC in the fishing reports.

I'd go to Devils if I was looking for March sumos...

Hmmm...I wonder if my dad can live without his fourwheeler w/tracks and pickup for a few days...That'd be sweet!

I also found a few guides that for $150 a day could be well worth it.

Devils would be great as well, but i'm kind of looking for more time on the ice and less on the road. If i enjoy it, i could see myself spending most march weekends over there. Not a bucket fisherman, just looking for some giant perch to take a picture with and release.

If you could get your dads tracked wheeler that would be a great option, or wait until some of the snow melts. Fishing will probably be better then anyway.

Perch is open year round, along with everything else, including Walleye and pike, so they are always an option.

Waubay and Bitter have both been putting out good numbers of perch up to 13 inches this year. I went to Waubay last saturday and the perch were still in the deep basins, scattered and not easy to find. Come March, I would look in the shallower bays, 15 ft. or less. Probably get some walleye mixed in as well and the action should be real good.

Sinai is kind of my home lake, I can be there in about 15 minutes. There are some good perch in it but not great numbers of them. Walleye generally run small and there are plenty of smallmouth. If you are looking for a lake in the Brookings area, Poinsett or Thompson would be better choices, but neither as good as most of the lakes in the Waubay/Bitter area.

I am no fishing expert but hopefully this helps.

Others pretty much covered it. I would suggest Lynn or Bitter. My experience on Bitter this winter has been good quality perch, but not the quantity.

Waubay can be really hit-and-miss. If you get on 'em, you can have one of the best days of fishing you have had. But the next day, you can go all over that lake, drill dozens of holes, and get squat.

Lynn and maybe Roy are going to be consistent. And as has been mentioned, there are no closed seasons...walleye and northern (along with crappie and bluegill) are all fair game.

aweek ago my family and i were on a NE S.d lake and thought we did good with perch. It was my first time out to S.D, my brother been there many times and did fair. If anyone wants more info just web search circle pine motel in waubay,S.D. surf there HSOforum as they have a fishing report page. Give the people @ circle pine a call and they will direct you in the right place. As i said earlier i thought my family and i did good on the perch but a local stated that was poor and that friday people was leaving with limits out there. Lindy flyer gold, silver, rainbow with minnow was the ticket but @ sun down a buck shot silver heli style was puting perch in the bucket.

More great info-thanks.

A little surprised my old man has no interest in ice fishing...and apparently my brother blew out his knee for the 3rd time last night lol, so it should be no problem finding a few weekends to enjoy the glacier lakes region in march.

Appreciate the help. I'll hopefully have some pics in a few weeks.

Hey truth.....I'm orginally from the Waubay area and moved to MN a few years ago. I usually get back 4-5 times a year to ice fish. My son and I recently hit Waubay and did quite well. Fished the north end out from the town of Greenville. There is an island out there and fished SW of the island. I know Bitter has been doing great this year, haven't fished because been doing good on Waubay. On Bitter they been fishing the north end out from the boat launch. Season doesn't close and gets quite good in March. Sportsmans Cove in Webster is usually quite helpful for information. If you are looking for a guide, my buddy does does guiding over there and can pass you his number. Few pics of our recent trip!

well I live 2 miles from waubay lake and have taken some of the nicest perch out of there in yrs. Fishing has been solid all winter around the area. March will be sloppy..lots of snow on ice and tough getting around but guys are moving about.

I love fishing the waubay area and looking foward to coming up there again in march. Do any one know if the lake there in waubay, day co. (bitter,blue dog, waubay, pickerel) drivable during the month of early march?. Last time I was out on bitter and waubay lake we did good. Perch is big and the northern are very aggresive. Thanks to my ifinder h2o gps, I can make assumption to where the school goes to, instead of second guessing, cut the drilling time in half. Driving from anoka,mn isn't that far compare to going to red lake,mn.. the fishery in S.D is out of this world and from my perspective better then some famous lake in mn... Sorry, I know I'm a minnesotan and should be proud of my home fishery but my heart is with the fishery in S.D.

things can start to get a little sketchy early march, it all depends on the weather i'd say. especially with all the snow, it'll be interesting how that turns out as things start to thaw. i'm sure a wheeler would be fine though. hey truth pm me when you get some dates set, i'll see about joining you out there. i'm from nesd, so it'd be a matter of me having time i guess. (theres always time to fish though lol) tight lines in the meantime fella's!

Wow, nice job truthwalleyes. This has to be the first ever thread to reach 2 pages in the SD forum. Good to see some activity.

Haha.

Well,

I don't think i'm going to make it happen this spring - Kind of filled up my march with other plans. However, i will make some open water trips this spring after ice out. I hope this thread has helped others find some spring perch in SD.

Can anyone tell me if folks are still ice fishing on Lake Thompson, Preston, etc. right now? Was thinking of heading over there this weekend.

Thanks.

I haven't been in that area myself recently but I know they are still fishing and ice should still be in really good shape. Also don't have to fight the snow/slush issues like they are having up north.

I will be heading to Huron on Friday and can take a look, too bad I wont have any time to fish.

Thanks for the info. I called Backroads Bait in Lake Preston and they said the ice was still plenty thick. Will be a bit sloppy this weekend, but we'll be heading out in the area. I'll post our success/failure back here when we're back.