• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catastrophic Auger Failure

jBohmer

That's why I'd never own an Eskimo!

Please show me evidence of this issue happening on a consistent(or even semi-consistent) basis.

How do you know this auger wasn't dropped or damaged in some way that could eventually cause this issue? (By the previous owner or current)

This is the first I have heard of any powerhead (any brand) completely falling apart like this. So it obviously isn't an epidemic or problem. Every manufacturer will make parts that will fail, you are living in a dream world if you think otherwise.

BTW - For the record I have never owned or even touched an Eskimo, but I have seen numerous people(on here and on the ice) who love theirs.

Please show me evidence of this issue happening on a consistent(or even semi-consistent) basis.

How do you know this auger wasn't dropped or damaged in some way that could eventually cause this issue? (By the previous owner or current)

This is the first I have heard of any powerhead (any brand) completely falling apart like this. So it obviously isn't an epidemic or problem. Every manufacturer will make parts that will fail, you are living in a dream world if you think otherwise.

BTW - For the record I have never owned or even touched an Eskimo, but I have seen numerous people(on here and on the ice) who love theirs.

Woooduck is a regular internet troll on many forums. His post was meant to get people worked up. Some people have nothing better to do than sit on forums and try to mess with people. I know, it is sad isn't it...

Woooduck is a regular internet troll on many forums. His post was meant to get people worked up. Some people have nothing better to do than sit on forums and try to mess with people. I know, it is sad isn't it...

Ahhh...I see, guess this just shows I don't spend my time following 'people'.

fisherman-andy,

That looks real close to mine, but I am sure that it does not say Viper on my recoil. The best I can recall it does not appear that any labels have worn off either. When I get off of work today I am going to take a closer look and I will let you know.

Unfortunately it looks like the part of the engine that is cracked on yours is part of the same piece that is busted on mine, just in a different spot. Do you mind letting me know what town you live in so I know if I should still pursue this possible business deal?

Man I love this HSOforum. I cannot tell you how much and quickly I have learned things by looking at all the posts throughout the years. Thanks HSO, fisherman-andy, and the rest of you that have given the great advice! smile

fisherman-andy,

That looks real close to mine, but I am sure that it does not say Viper on my recoil. The best I can recall it does not appear that any labels have worn off either. When I get off of work today I am going to take a closer look and I will let you know.

Unfortunately it looks like the part of the engine that is cracked on yours is part of the same piece that is busted on mine, just in a different spot. Do you mind letting me know what town you live in so I know if I should still pursue this possible business deal?

Man I love this HSOforum. I cannot tell you how much and quickly I have learned things by looking at all the posts throughout the years. Thanks HSO, fisherman-andy, and the rest of you that have given the great advice! smile

Im in the south Metro but can definitely stop by in the east metro. I see your in Woodbury? I go that way often and can meet up in that area.

The stingray powerhead itself is intact as you see in the picture aside from the parts I disassembled. Are you sure the housing that sits your spark plug is crack or damaged? From your pictures it seem the bottom end of the transmission where it bolts up.

If you find your powerhead to be the same model just send me a PM or reply back on this thread as im an HSO addict daily and i'll check and respond.

You could try hitting eskimo up for part of the cost. If they would cover even 35% of cost. It's better than nothing.

I have been on the phone with Eskimo already. They basically said that it would be better to just get another auger. The part they have available with my issue is the whole head (tranny and all) which is almost the price of a new auger. My bit is in excellent shape but I do not think that I want to buy a whole head from them now, I am disappointed with what happened to mine.

fisherman-andy,

I often get out to the west metro myself. My office is in Eagan and I travel around Minnesota quite a bit. Let me do some research and I will get back to you. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

My Eskimo Mako has been more than reliable as has my father-in-laws, and his has been dropped a few times, hard enough to bend the handle.

JBohmer - clean out your PM inbox - I have a business proposition for you.

It has been cleaned.

I would think anyone who fixes props could fix this in about 5 mins since they weld on cast aluminum props all the time. It can be tricky due to the perosity or air pockets in the aluminum which happens during casting process but they should know how to deal with it.

Thanks Bass Whaker. I talked to a couple of guys earlier today and it looks like that it may cost about $50. That was just ballpark since none of them have seen it yet and one guy had some concerns about the aluminum if it came from the Pacific Rim which I think is the case. I think that is my best option at this time though so I may give a whirl.

If it's cast alum, someone good with a tig should be able to weld that up for you. If it's pot metal, the only rout would be to braze it, this might not even hold up due to the thickness of the metal. The only way to know for sure is to bring it in to a shop.