• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Rod ideas?

mnhunter2

We go up every March. We use 28-30" medium rods with 10lb crystal fireline backed with mono. We generally use Live Target lures. That is just what we have used. Probably alot of other ideas out there.

I just looked up the Live Target lures, what style works for ice fishing? The lipless ones or something else?

This video is exactly what you are looking for! Click on the link below:

Lots of great information in a short amount of time. Look for medium action rods, 1000 series size reels, spooled with 8-10 lb. test, and attracting baits that can call fish in from a long ways away!

I have been mainly a ultra-light line fisherman, panfish and mabye a few walleyes, and will be heading to Lake Winnepeg for a late ice trip and need advice on rods, lines and tackle when 10lb walleyes are possible?

Basically you want a laker rod. Long(36"+), powerful (M or MH), and moderate to slow action. Your fishing shallow water with big fish and barbless hooks. The long rod with moderate action is needed to keep these fish pinned. MH power is to get a good hookset into them.

Perfect rod is a Thorne Bros Pro Glass as long as you are comfortable with. Too long and it gets tough to get your transducer out of the hole and getting the fishes head turned up the hole and grabbing it yourself. If you have someone close by to help you then these are not issues.

I make an anual trip to Winnipeg and can honestly say it is bay far the best big walleye bite that I have found. As far as rods. I use a 36" St Croix MH and a 36" St Croix H. The longer rods are key. Barbless hooks are mandatory and getting a good hook set on these biger fish is key. I use nothing but rattle baits. (Rippin Raps, Strike King, Live Target) Tipping them with a minnow head has been best for me in the past but it all depends. These walleyes hit like a ton of bricks especially in late March. The are all jacked up right before spawning and thats where the longer rod is nice.

As far as a guide, I have done both ways. All I can say is a guide isnt needed but do not be afraid to move around and drill holes. These fish roam all day long and if you wait around for them you will be dissapointed. MOVE AND DRILL! Fish the mouth of the red in late march and you will find fish. Test your depths. The biggest of the walleyes I have found on that lake in late March is in that 8-10' depth.

The B3 Blade Bait is made by B FISH N Tackle. Enjoy your trip. Its one you will make every year. Ill be back up there March 21 and Im counting down the days!!

good info guys.

For you guys that go up to Winnipeg. Do you use a guide service? or fish house rentals...portables? I would like to go up there ice fishing sometime and would like to hear a little more about the lake and how you guys do it.

thanks

No ice house rentals at all.. Sorry. In march, weather is usually nice, ice is over four feet thick now, so no shacks. Just run and gun. If you wan to talk to a couple guides, pm me.

Thanks again guys

Might have to look into getting a few longer rods and such.

The way my schedule is now i dont think i would have time to make it this year.......since we have our first child! 3 months now! so we are busy!!!!

anyway like i said in my last post i would like to go there ice fishing looking for some nice size walleyes and this year is kinda looking like a no go but i have a few guys in mind that i have talked to about going so the more info the better.

How long do you guys stay up there??

Since its run and gun........stay in a motel or resort?

Cam White i will try to PM you this weekend.