• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First ever recorded treed cougar in MN

BobT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up south of alex and 2 years ago we had a cougar around I seen some weird cat tracks thought maybe a bobcat but were pretty big didnt think it was a cougar and then the neighbor told me he had a pic of one on his cam. He was an older gentleman and he had a pic with just the front 1/3rd of it looking straight at the camera. And also that same year during gun season dnr found a cougar that was shot by who knows who but found it dead in the feild and it was in the paper and dnr was questioning alot of people it was right next to were we slug hunt. If you dont think there are cougars in mn think again cuz without a doubt there is just dont ever see them because there smarter than us.

I don't think there has ever been doubt that a population of mountain lions exist in MN, I think the question has always been "is there a breeding population?" Sounds like most (if not all) of these mountain lions are young males coming in from south dakota or canada. I don't know how far females travel compared to males, but I think it'll only be a matter of time before MN has a permanent population. Sightings on the north shore are becoming more frequent too.

As long as the population doesnt get to huge, i think its pretty cool. THere is plenty of road kill and small varmints for the cats to eat all around minnesota. You would have to be a pretty unlucky person to get mauled or killed by one. I would think a pack of hungry wolves would be much more dangerous then a lone big cat. And even with a strong population of wolves you never hear of them attacking humans.

Let's see - back in 1982 my dad and I were in far northern Minnesota scouting for bear and we had a female cougar with her two kits cross the road in front of us a mere 60 yards away. So is there a breeding population in Minnesota, yes. Does anyone believe it, no.

Back than the DNR laughed at us and said there are no cougars, mountain lions in Minnesota. OK than.

That was the way it went Lichen. We shared our experience with a few but the common reply was it must have been a bobcat or a bear or may a deer with some fawns.

My dad is in his eighties now and we still talk about that day. It was really neat to see. Yet no one believed us. smile

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Although cougar attacks are rare, they can be fatal.This is a list of fatal cougar attacks that occurred in North America by decade in chronological order. The cougar is also commonly known as a puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount, or panther. The sub-population in Florida, which is the only population east of the Mississippi River, is known as the Florida panther.

At least 20 people in North America were killed by cougars between 1890 and 2011, including six in California. More than two-thirds of the Canadian fatalities occurred on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal dog attacks, fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings.[citation needed] Children are particularly vulnerable. The majority of the child victims listed here were not accompanied by adults.

Before 1970Name, age, gender Date Location, comments

Arthur Dangle, 7, male June 19, 1890 Killed by two cougars while playing near his home in Quartz Valley, Siskiyou County, California

Isola Kennedy, 38, female; Earl Wilson, 10, male July 5, 1909 Rabid cougar attacked a woman and child in Morgan Hill in Santa Clara County, California. Both victims died from rabies, not from the physical injuries. This is the only instance of a double fatality and the only instance where the victims succumbed to disease rather than the injuries sustained in the attack.

Jimmie Fehlhaber, 13, male December 17, 1924 Attacked and killed in Olema, Washington as he tried to outrun a cougar for about 100 yards

Dominic Taylor, 7, male June 1949 Attacked and killed while walking on a beach in Kyuquot, British Columbia

Unknown, female 1951 Killed in Tampico, Mexico

Elena Salzar, 5, female June 1953 Attacked, dragged off, and eaten in Tampico, Mexico

1970sName, age, gender Date Location, comments

Lawrence Wells, 12, male January 1971 Attacked and killed in Lytton, British Columbia by male cougar while playing with his sisters

Kenneth Clark Nolan, 8, male January 20, 1974 Killed by a 3 year old female cougar in Arroyo Seco, New Mexico

Thomas Harris, 26, male July 1976 Killed by a two year old male cougar near Gold River on British Columbia's Vancouver Island. He was dragged over 800 yards in the snow.

1980s Name, age, gender Date Location, comments

Jesse Sky Bergman, 9, male May 16, 1988 Stalked and killed by a four year old male cougar at Catface Mountain, near Tofino, British Columbia

Jake Thomas Gardipee, 5, male September 9, 1989 Attacked and killed by at least two, possibly three, cougars behind his Missoula County, Montana home while riding a tricycle

1990s Name, age, gender Date Location, comments

Scott Lancaster, 18, male January 14, 1991 Killed while jogging a familiar route on a hill above Clear Creek High School in Idaho Springs, Colorado

Jeremy Williams, 7, male May 1992 Attacked and killed in Kyuquot, British Columbia by a young female cougar while playing in the school yard.

Barbara Barsalou Schoener, 40, female April 23, 1994 Long distance runner and Placerville resident was attacked and killed while jogging on the American River Canyon Trail in California's Auburn State Recreation Area

Iris M. Kenna, 56, female December 10, 1994 Killed while hiking alone near Cuyamaca Peak in California's Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

Cindy Parolin, 36, female August 19, 1996 Mother killed while defending her 6 year old son on a horse back riding trip in British Columbia

Mark Miedema, 10, male July 17, 1997 Killed by an adult female cougar in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park while hiking when he got ahead of his family

2000s Name, age, gender Date Location, comments

Frances Frost, 30, female January 2, 2001 This Canmore, Alberta resident was killed by a cougar while skiing on Cascade Fire Road just north of Banff National Park in Alberta

Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, male January 8, 2004 Attacked and killed while mountain biking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County, California

Robert Nawojski, 55, male June 24, 2008 Searchers found his body on this date near his mobile home in Pinos Altos, New Mexico. Investigators concluded that he had been attacked and killed by a cougar several days earlier.

My neighbors dogs treed that cougar again. At least he thinks it's the same one. I guess if it is, it has been hanging around and not moving too much. Either that or we have more around than we think.

See one run accross county road #8 in Floodwood about 20 years ago.It had just snowed,so it was very visible. Stopped & got out to look at the tracks. Two leaps and it cleared the gravel road.

Just remember they are all just moving thru trying to find a home territory. That's what I always hear in ND. You would think one might stick around every now and then. Of course now with a season on them it is hard to say there isn't an established population. I believe MN also has an established population.

See one run accross county road #8 in Floodwood about 20 years ago.It had just snowed,so it was very visible. Stopped & got out to look at the tracks. Two leaps and it cleared the gravel road.

I also saw one near Floodwood, just last summer.

Sounds like most (if not all) of these mountain lions are young males coming in from south dakota or canada

The one killed last(?) year was a female if I'm remembering correctly. I've heard the same claims that the sightings are wandering males, but the only individual I've heard about the sex being verified on was that female. It makes me think people are just *wishing* they were all males.

If wishes were fishes laugh

Went to choir practice tonight at our church and found a set of cougar tracks in the parking lot. About the size of the palm of my hand and as is typical of a feline, its back prints are on top of the front. You could also see where its tail was dragging on the ground. Our church is a country church along the Sauk River. From what I've read, they like to follow river bottoms because it provides cover and opportunity. Makes one want to be a little more observant when going out after dark.

St. Mary's University in Winona just sent a warning to all students and faculty yesterday that a Cougar/Mountain Lion was spotted on campus. Make sense, great environment with plenty of prey for a food source. The bluffs also make it a spot for a cougar.

I find this terribly interesting as I keep expecting to also tree one with my dogs. I bear hunt with hounds as well as run deer and moose (which is legal here). I have never seen one in 40 years hereabouts but have no trouble believeing we get the odd one moving thru. I don't think we have enough deer hereabouts for a resident population.

Lynx have very big feet so I'm not sure on a set of tracks but the tail drag is definitive.

Lichen Fox gave a list of people killed by cougars in the last few years. One of those killed was Cindy Parolin from BC. I talked to one of the BC Forest guys who investigated that incident. Her small son was dragged off his horse by a cougar and she went to his defense fighting off the cat. Her Daughter and her son ran for help, which was a long way off, they returned with a man who happened to have a gun and he killed the cat. That woman had fought that cat with her bare hands for over an hour. She was cut up pretty bad and upon learning that her children were alright--she died. The cat was a young female and only wieghed 63 lbs.

Thought I came across some tracks down by Belle Creek in Cannon Falls/Welch area last summer. Sure weren't dog tracks. Made me a little weary but the trusty buck knife travels with me just in case. Don't know how much help that would do if I got the sneak attack from behind and it latched onto my neck.

Ya I don't think I would feel safe with a buck knife against one haha...My buddy told me a few years ago he was walking to his deer stand and a big buck ran across the trail in front him with a cougar right on his heels...Ha I would have been heading back even with the rifle lol

4 years ago I saw one on the lake by the state park, I only told a few people because I wasn't for sure if that is what I saw, but when the Waterville cop saw it by the highway by the state park eating a road kill deer then I knew I was right. It came by the fish house on night and ate the 4 bullheads near the house.

My old man lives North of Madison Lake MN. He has heard what he believes was a cougar a few years ago. He was sitting on his deck and heard an awful noise like something was killing something. His cat was sitting on his lap and stood up, looked that direction and arched its back and hissed. He said in all the years that he has lived there he has never heard anything like that. He went out there the next morning to see if he could see anything but could not. It is CRP land so no prints. I also know of people that live in North Mankato that have had a cougar in there yard even though the police said that there are no cougars. LOL

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-cougar-killed-on-northeast-illinois-farm-20131121,0,2495757.story

IL DNR officer shot/ killed mature male in Morrison, IL on 11/20/13. It appears to be the wild kind. Makes you wonder how many are out there watching us and we don't know it. Pure survival machines! Sad to see it killed, but exited to see these cats are adapting and trying to expand their ranges. I'm sure not everyone agrees...