• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yellow Bass fishing at Clear Lake Iowa

So I'm leaving for training with the Army in early April. I want to plan a fishing trip down to Clear Lake in Iowa for some yellow bass. Can any one give me the average Lake condition in mid March? Open water? Fish biting? I'm from the Twincities and want to pull my boat down to get my wife and I on some yellow bass. Any other location in the lower border states to MN will be great too.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Ice out is usually a guess but usually around the 3rd week in March. I have put my boat in at the City Beach landing or the Shady Beach landing and there has still been large areas of ice on the lake. There is an aerator in the lake near City Beach so this can be open water. There is also one near the pump house on the west/northwest area of the lake. I have been on the lake when the wind shifted and blew the ice into the landing areas. This makes it a little difficult to load the boat when it is time to leave.

I drove around the lake last night and there are large areas of open water caused by the aerators and the wind we have been having. People were driving on the ice on the "little lake" but it looked risky to me. I have a drop down sitting out there and I am hoping that it gets cold or it will be difficult removing the house.

Good Luck in the Army!!!!

Mike

Regular Army!!! '68-'71