• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow hard water walleye questions

When fishing shallow (13 ft or less) on a very clear water lake, should I be worried about light shining down the hole after dark? Seem to do ok on tip-ups but have very few show up on the flasher under the shack. And what are some techniques you guys like to use? Have tried buckshots, slender spoons, jiggin raps, and deadsticking. The bite window is rather short, maybe 45 mins to an hour at best around sunset. The lake is pretty featureless as far as mid-lake structure as far as I can tell. Where/what should I look for as we approach mid ice season? The lake only has few smallish points and that is about it. Have just been fishing a weedline along a fast break on the inside turn of a gradual weedy point but activity seems to be fading the later in the season we get. Its tough for me to leave this location as i have no idea where to move next. Stumbled upon this spot the end of hardwater season for gamefish the end of last feb. and did well so i plan on coming back to this spot then. Unfortunately I forgot to do my open water scouting this past summer!  Thanks for any input! Also any tips as where to look morning and mid-day? Or do they just roam the basin scattered out on this type of lake? 

WalleyeChaser, no matter what lake I've fished on, either down here or up north, I've never had much luck for walleyes other than late afternoon and evening. Most walleyes I catch are on ice jigs and fatheads, either under an ice-stopper bobber or spring bobber while watching the flasher. The lake you're talking about sounds like it may be north of my house? Good Luck.

IMO it would depend largely on the stock of walleyes. If the walleyes are stocked fish than they are raised in rearing ponds full of weeds and will relate to weeds when released into lakes. If they are naturally bred walleyes they will have some typical walleye patterns but can depend on the forage. If you have the opportunity to ice one take a second and check out what's in its stomach. This can give you some insight as to what the fish are feeding on. If you blood worms or other invertibrates look to fish softer bottoms like mud flats and transtions. If minnows find the greatest concentration of baitfish and match the hatch.

Good luck in your quest.

I know they are feeding on little crappies as I have checked their stomachs. I'm assuming thats why they are preferring shinners, over suckers or fatheads. As the weeds are dying it seems they have moved on. Guess I will have to find a healthier weed batch on the lake! Thanks for the input.