• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are all the Dead Moose

Just a comment on the population surveys.

Fixed wing aircraft are a lot cheaper than helicopters as far as flying time goes. Thats why they were used to fly transects for many years--but the heli's are way better for countin moose from the air--plus they have more than 40 years experience doing this and they have gotten way better at it.

No one--absolutely no one is more critical of the MNR than I am. That said they really are good at counting moose from the air.

A year and a half ago I deer hunted east of Isabella. In two days of hunting I saw zero deer.......... but 6 moose!

There was a pile of tater tots behind every other tree.........

It would be interesting to see how they are doing in that area now??

Quote:
I'm picturing the Far Side cartoon: a bunch of moose sitting around a Canandian tavern tipping Molsons and watching hockey. One says, "Yeah, I hear the DNR came through Sawbill to count last Thursday... we were already in Thunder Bay." The other replies, "This outta shut down the hunting season for a while!"

grin That's funny!

It doesnt matter whether you think the counting methods are accurate or not, what matters with wildlife surveys is that they are consistent. They could be using a terrible count method but as long as they are using the method consistently year after year, the results will be accurate concerning population increase or decrease. Might not be accurate on overall numbers though.