• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1998 Honda Fourman S

Musky hunter 82

I was running my wheeler tonight in the snow for the first time since it was given to me and when I tried to go through only a couple of inches of snow with ice under it I got stuck. When I looked at the tires the only one spinning was the right front tire. I thought that the back tires always had power to them? If they don;t how can I make it so they do?

Thanks for your help.

Both rears should be powered ALL the time. If they are not, my guess is that the splines on the axle are stripped. The other less likely possibilities are the rear drive shaft or slip yoke.

Let me know what you find, I have some spare parts for a 98 Foreman differential laying around from one I rebuilt for a guy years ago. Possibly they could be something you could use.

The drive shaft is connected to the motor inside the bigger tube of the swing arm.

Try this, leave it in gear, jack up the rear end and see if you can turn the axle and if there are any strange noises (if it turns). It could possibly have a broken u-joint.

So here's what I found; I took off the cap for adding fluid to the rear drive gears, I then jacked up the rear end and while turning the wheels I looked at the large gear and it wasn't turning, I flet like it was slipping on the main shaft. Then I jacked up both the rear end and the front end started the wheeler and put it into first gear, the front tires move, but neither of the rears moved, when I looked at the large gear while it was still in gear the large gear was moving. So it makes me think that the splines on the rear shaft and teh Large gear are stripped out. How difficult is it to change out the rear shaft and gear, do you need any special tools to do this?

Thank you

That pretty much confirms what I said in the first post, the axle splines are stripped inside the ring gear assembly. You dont need any special tools but depending on what you find when you open it up it may well need an axle, ring gear and bearings. Thats what I found on the one I repaired for a guy. He had sunk the wheeler and didnt ever think to drain the differential so it had water in it for almost a year. Here is what you will most likely need. About $250 separately on the e*bay or there are some complete used units for a bit less.

full-8254-29887-axle.jpg

full-8254-29888-bearingkit.jpg

full-8254-29889-ringgear.jpg

Well I started the work tearing apart the rear end of my wheeler, and ran into a snag, I can't get the right crown nut off. I spraied it with Aero Kroil and am letting it sit over night to see if that helps loosen it. I got the left side off along with the wheel hub, I was also able to loosen all of the bolts that I might need to take off so that's good.

The question I have is do I have to disassembly the brake housing or can I slide it off the shaft as one piece?

Thank you,

I'll keep this up to date while I'm working on it.

The brake assembly is easier to put back on if it is apart. It would also be a good time to clean, lube and service the brakes anyway. If I remember correctly the axle has to be removed from the left side after the brakes and axle tube housing are taken off.