• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High end rods

ClownColor

Higher end reels and rods are personal taste but they are definitely different for sensitivity, and weight in technique specific bass lines.

Like stated earlier, someone moving up might not notice a huge difference but somebody going from $200-$300 gear to <$100 gear will notice a huge difference. The key is never to pay retail. You can find huge discounts when new product lines come out on the previous years stuff. Also in terms of rods you can buy used rods on fishing forums at a discount and the stuff usually is comparable to new carrying the same lifetime warranties.

The key is never to pay retail. You can find huge discounts when new product lines come out on the previous years stuff.

Look for awesome deals at the Northwest Sport's Show. I picked up a St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye 7' LXF rod last year paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000, and I paid a total of $300 out the door.

Bargain hunting can offer high quality equipment for a fraction of the cost wink

Sometimes it's not so much justifying the higher cost to yourself as much as it's justifying the high cost to your wife smile

I agree with much of what has been said. Once you get used to the better rods for jigging and rigging, it's hard to go back and you notice the difference. A symetre is good enough for me, no need to spend more than that for spinning reels.

With my trolling rods and muskie rods, I don't see any need to get the high end equipment as sensitivity isn't crucial. With baitcast (especially muskie) reels it definitely pays to get the high quality reels.

I for one have changed! I once used to buy $50 combo sets and $15 rain suits. Just not worth it any more to me. My woman had about 15 garage sale type fishing poles when she met me. After fishing with my poles she won't blink an eye to spend $100 to $150+ on a rod or reel. We just wish we had more$$$ to spend.

I've fished with guys that had cheap stuff and they asked how come I was catching more than them. I let them try my rods and all they can say is "WOW, I can feel them hit so much better!

Same with rain gear. There is a huge difference in a $25 rain coat vs. a $150 coat!

I too use to had the mindset that a pole is just a stick and a reel is just to hold line. Well, somewhere sometime, I decided to upgrade past the $100 mark. For myself, it started with the reel. I saw how my fishing equipment nearly performed twice what it had been. Next came the rod and again I saw how that performed like twice better as well. Then came the $200 mark and I saw some improvements, but more so in the area of fish fighting instead. Then came the $300 mark, but the improvements are getting to be somewhat marginal. However it was more in the refinements - the technic specilization. These are the sometimes it makes a difference. But overall mixing the different qualities of equipments sometimes don't work so well. You have to find the right balance and unfortunately it goes that you get the most only when you match it correctly (pricewise). Spinning rod setups don't get as much performance difference in comparison to baitcasting set ups. So I wouldn't have much need to break past the $200 mark for spinning rods.

Very good posts. Here is what I think I have learned, if (name your favorite pro fisherman) and I completly swapped equipment, he/she would most likely catch more fish then myself. That being said, I have slowly, thanks mainly to Santa, have begun to start buying the more expensive equipment. And most of it is worth the extra cost, however, I have learned that if the technolgy of your new equipment is beyond what you can handle it does you no good. You really need to match your equipment with your skill level. And once your skill level begins to improve the benefits of better equipment really show their true colors. Also, once youy start buying and are able to use the advantages of the better equipment, you will never go back, so start saving your pennies.

I guess the major point of this is if you only fish the opener, and the 3 holiday weekends of the summer save your money. But if are like me and get out close to once a week, the investment is worth it. Just don't let your kids, grandkids or in-laws use the good stuff, or else you will be at your favorite sporting good store buying new gear since they want to use the good stuff you have now.

nteresting thread, I love my st croix premire, at 110 bucks its hands down the best purchare for a rod ive done. Over the last 3 ears now since ive bought it i dove in to the world of custom rods, I have 2 ice rods by chad huderle an i tell you i winched at the price fo 125 a peice but they are fantastic, i'll never by anothe store brand ice rod again. Yesterday I order a 7ft walleye jiggin rod from Rod engle, he convenced me to use a blank other than a st croix blank called american something or another. but being in the rod building bussines for 25 years he assured me the later is just as good an he prefers it himself, with a cost difference of about 30 bucks. The rod will cost me 170.00 an can personalize also. Chad Huderle makes icrediable works of art into his rods alo with personalization but a bit more. I suggest to those that are into their fishing rods to try a custom rod, you wont regret it.

For those of you wanting to buy your first "top of the line" rod!!! Or those wanting to add to their collection!!! Go to stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Freshwater-23-1.html# add the "www." to the beginning!! St Croix's Legend Extreme, their very best rod is %50 off retail. Now these are the 2012 models that are left in inventory. They are all bait casters. This is only %10 over what the pro-staffers pay for these rods. Amazing rods with LIFETIME warranties!!! 5 years from now you set the hook on your "fish of a lifetime" and the top 10" snap off the rod. You send it in with $20 shipping and a brand new one is sent back. 5 years from now your son steps on it in the boat. You send it in and for a blank fee (usually $50) they send you a brand new one!! Pretty good insurance program, and now buying it at the same cost as other rods with only 5 year warranties. How can you go wrong??

If you're looking for a high end rod that deal on st croix above by Chris Haley is extremely hard to pass up. Although they are the 2012 discontinued models and the new 2013 blanks are supposed to be a little bit better/lighter/stronger.. The handles on the new ones are bruutally uncomfortable and cumbersome... The old ones fished better. The news ones just look flashy and ghay.

If i didnt already buy my rods/reels for the year I'd be all over that.

In stock are 610 mxf, 66 mhf, 72 mhm, and 72 mm. $185 a piece OOOOHHH MAMA