• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decorative Wraps

I understand that there are several books and authors to choose from when picking a good reference book on this subject. If you had to pick a book for your first one on decorative butt wraps which one would it be and why?

I look forward to reading everyone's comments on this topic.

I have the old Dale Clemens book. Fair amount of dec wraps and I learned enough reading and a few that I have been able to figure out a few wraps that I had seen that there were no instructions for. I know Billy Vivona has a good one out(not got it yet tho) that has got good reviews.

My first book was Billy Vivona's. I will admit I had to read through it a number of times to get my mind wrapped around the content. Now, most of it makes sense to me but it took a little while. I have not seen the Clemens book.

I have the old Dale Clemens book. Fair amount of dec wraps and I learned enough reading and a few that I have been able to figure out a few wraps that I had seen that there were no instructions for. I know Billy Vivona has a good one out(not got it yet tho) that has got good reviews.

Hi upnorth,

How difficult was the technique to pick up using Dale's book for doing butt wraps? I understand that the pictures are in B&W, how difficult was that to see what was going on with the wraps? Do you know if Dale has another addition out that has color pictures?

Thanks Again for all your help!

My first book was Billy Vivona's. I will admit I had to read through it a number of times to get my mind wrapped around the content. Now, most of it makes sense to me but it took a little while. I have not seen the Clemens book.

Hi unfrozen,

Would you say the content is complicated to understand or could have been written a little better? Are there many pictures or illustrations used in the book? Would you buy the book again knowing what you know now or would you try another book?

Thanks Again for helping me with this topic!

I would say at first it's complicated. That's why I needed to go through it a few times in order to get a firm grasp of the terminology and how the different wraps actually lay out.

There's a lot going on with some of these wraps, ins, outs, ups, downs, lefts, rights, crosses, boxes, plus one, minus one, times two, steps, sequences, passes, frames, connections, splits, square wraps, elongated wraps, compressed wraps, and the concept of tapered offset spacing.

Billy's book covers all these topics in detail plus there are a ton of patterns provided so I would "for sure" buy his book again. (Didn't mean for this to sound like a commercial but it's really a good guide.)

Something else you may want to try is software called VisualWrap. It allows you model any wrap you can dream up BEFORE you start wrapping it. It lets you see how it'll look from different angles, 3D view, rotating view...it's pretty powerful.

It wasn't that tough. For the most part it is just "crosswraps" and sequencing.

Trying opening microsoft paint and make sure that you have show grid lines enabled. The images below were made using paint. I just kept adding to the pattern at 45 degrees.

Rosepattern-1.jpg