• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

REVIEW: DHcustomrod "Proto Pan” Hard Water Ice Rod

ME: Your average Joe - looking to get into the true custom rod market. Went on the hunt and found Dusty aka DH from dhcustomrods. Everything I said was true and from the heart. I paid full price and wasn't cut a deal. Just wanted to share my .02cents on the rod.

What I wanted: The ultimate panfish rod with some strength. Below is the product and it was a definite winner.

10/10!

About Dusty, stand up guy with amazing communication, MN based company, and best yet high-quality custom products.

Specs:

Name: TBD (Currently called the Proto Pan)

-5″ cork

-Carbon Graphite blank (strong backbone, and SUPER sensitive)

-26″ length (includes the wire spring tip)

-REC, Recoil guides are Nickle Titanium alloy (Nitinol) or NiTi

-Nitinol wire spring tip (The Nitinol wire used for the tip is specifically treated to react in the range of 15 degrees to -15 degrees so it will always remain straight)

-Custom wrap job

-Weight: .8oz

Cost $84.99+7.50 shipping (Uses USPS Priority, he breaks even here)

-5 inch cork

-Carbon Graphite blank (strong backbone, and SUPER sensitive)

-26 inch length (includes the wire spring tip)

Formatting got all messed up so here's the correction under the spec section.

Original? Who cares? If its a great product and cheaper than another rod why not buy them? I have been very impressed with the DH line of rods and the quality I have gotten for the money. Im all about quality but wont pay axtra just for a name.

Dont get me wrong I also have TB rods I like as well but their prices have gotten a bit wild the past few years.

I've got an idea for the name of the rod. How about the DH Custom Tripwire Light? Or maybe you could shorten the wire a little and have a Medium-Light model? I myself will continue to buy TB rods until DH comes out with something original. Just my two cents.

Curious.. Have you ever seen one? This rod has been in production and testing for almost two years.. WHY? because it is entirely different from the trip wire. Firstly we don't just stick a bead at the end of the wire and shove a guide in it.. Secondly we worked with a company on the east coast that specializes in Nitinol wire, and had ours specially treated for the cold temps.. in fact ours reacts the same in 70' as it does in negative 35 degrees. Ours is also built on our perch pounder blank which is Medium Moderate to be precise.. what this does is gives you two short inches of wire and you are on the hook set.

As for original.. All of our rods are original including our Noodle rod that was hand turned to the precise action we wanted.. is it a power noodle? not in the least bit.. we have backbone in our noodles. or how about the DH Custom "Feather" 40 ton carbon Walleye rod that weighs 2.8oz 40 ton DH Custom Blank (original DH Design) and REC Recoil guides.. yes, I said 2.8oz fully built at 6'8"

Oh, then there's our T-12 a 12 foot trolling rod that we put over 200 hours testing and perfecting so you could use it for ALL walleye trolling techniques.. Leadcore, Flat Lines, 3 way rigging, Check Check Check. Did I mention that that rod is also an original and exclusive to DH.. It is.

Our Vertical Jig Rig 5'3" vertical jigging rod.. yes DH Exclusive.

The beauty of being a custom rod builder is that you can build whatever someone wants.. Can you get anything outside of the box anywhere else? Hydro Dipped Blanks for example..

I encourage you to stop by the shop and see for yourself.

Here at DH we fully respect anyone's opinion and certainly criticism as it helps us grow!!