• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tallest Insulated Hub

TruthWalleyes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us know what you get and how it works.

I am 6'7" with boots on and also in the market for insulated hub house. I have an old green Eskimo Quikfish 3 to replace. I want a house that will be nice and dark for spearing. I might get a frabill 6x6. I got to fish in my buddy's Eskimo 949i a couple weeks ago. It is a nice house but too short for me to stand up straight in.

Can do.

I'm not in a huge hurry, Might be a week or two before i pick one up.

If anyone with a hub needs a quick mod: Easy Rattle Reels for your Hub.

Clamps are $2-3, Rattle from reeds $10, Cheep rattle from FF $3(they're pretty quiet, so i recently got the traditional one from reeds). Coated line from Cabelas $3.

Clamp these onto your cealing, drill hole in corner. Works great. Can be a little noisy when the wind is blowing and shaking the house, then i just clamp it onto a bucket. When hole hopping, i clamp this onto a bucket outside.

full-26433-29846-2013_02_05_14_13_26_406

full-26433-29847-2013_02_05_14_13_36_721

full-26433-29848-2013_02_05_14_13_59_976

full-26433-29849-2013_02_05_14_14_09_76.

I've got 3 of these.

Works good when your renting a house from a resort too, usually quicker to clamp this on to something than it is to fix theirs.

What about a cheapo roof top car carrier? We have one for our van that straps down to the luggage rack but I think you could just strap it to the roof and I think it was less than $40. Or just some bungee cords? I can see you now, launching that thing off the bonne at 70 on the freeway.lol.

grin

Well a canoe has frequented the roof of my car many times back and forth to one river or another, so no problem strapping it to the roof, just not sure that is something i want to do smile

Was thinking though,

I might be able to lay it from the dash, across the passenger side seat shoulder to the rear window.

I will have a truck by ice out so i can tow my boat, so i'm really kind of thinking that fitting it in the bonneville is a temporary solution.

Only 1 thing turned me off from the clam 4000T, and i think it was just a defect, or maybe it will go away with time...But i could tell the canvas was tight, causing the roof to not BOW OUT, rather the rods were straight or even a little bent down. Wouldn't take more than 15mph wind to push the top in. Anyone else notice this, does it stretch out. The side walls were bowed out good and these rods seem nice and beefy. I just don't think i would want that exact one as the canvas seemed tight.

Only problem I ever had with mine was when I didn't thaw it out and the canvas was very stiff and frozen. The roof wouldn't stay up because it wasn't allowing the poles to be fully bowed. 10 min with the heater on solved that issue. I didn't have any more problems with mine in 25mph sustained winds that day.

FYI, the anchors that come with that thing are junk. I used my buddy's Eskimo ones and they were much better. But, the design if the internal hold downs are much better on the Clams (adjustable/detachable).

Fatfish 949i $350

94x94x80

Collapsed: 65x8.25x8.25

34 lbs

Bigfoot XL4000T $319

96x96x82

Collapsed: 64x9x9

47 lbs

Frabil Thermal Headquarters $399

140x70x80

Collapsed: 50x10x10

38 lbs

Clam Command Post Thermal $450

144x72x84

Collapsed: 55x14x12

63 lbs

full-26433-29892-8849_clam_command_post_

I think after lining them up next to each other, I am going to go with the Clam Command Post Thermal because of the height, collapsed size, and insulation.

Appreciate all the reviews. Hope this helps someone else find what they are looking for.

Thanks GanderMT for letting me setup the clam bigfoot yesterday.

They have a warehouse in South St Paul, and you might be able to call ahead and get one there. It is located at 494 and Hardmann Ave, just west of the Mississippi River. Not much to look at from the outside, but there are loads of things to look at once you are in. Just go in and all the way to the back where they will allow you to order from there catalogs and fill it while you wait. Like I said, though, call ahead for stock and give it a shot.

Sportsmans guide, Inc.

411 Farwell Ave, So St Paul, MN 55075

Yes and no ... No membership necessary to shop there or on the HSOforum/catalogue, but there are perks to being a member of the buyers club ... Cheaper prices and I believe discounted shipping etc. but that's totally optional of course. I've been getting the catalogues since I was a little kid. Good luck

Gotcha. Well see what the weather is like Monday. I might swing through there, but with a fee and an already 50$ higher price tag is about a moot point with gander and 86 dollar shipping, unless i actually buy a bunch of stuff over the next year.

Side note, just got the clam fan/light...boy does that make a big difference in an hub overnight.

Gotcha. Well see what the weather is like Monday. I might swing through there, but with a fee and an already 50$ higher price tag is about a moot point with gander and 86 dollar shipping, unless i actually buy a bunch of stuff over the next year.

Side note, just got the clam fan/light...boy does that make a big difference in an hub overnight.

did you get the smaller pancake type one or the bigger adjustable one, i have been thinking about getting one but not sure how much air they move.

Bigger adjustable one. Uses 2 D batteries. I switched batteries after 30 hours because the lights were getting a little dim. Moves good air and is quiet. Kind of nice to not have to worry aboutholes freezing over. Also picked up the clam shelf, great to have.

Just ordered the command post thermal...it was kind of a long checkout process because the fish moved through lol. Can't wait for it to show up.

Bigger adjustable one. Uses 2 D batteries. I switched batteries after 30 hours because the lights were getting a little dim. Moves good air and is quiet. Kind of nice to not have to worry aboutholes freezing over. Also picked up the clam shelf, great to have.

Just ordered the command post thermal...it was kind of a long checkout process because the fish moved through lol. Can't wait for it to show up.

thanks good to know, i also have the shelf i love it i may add another for whoever is fishing with me, about the only thing that can make that shelf better is if it had a rod holder for my dead stick on the outside hole

Its enough to take of my headlamp, i think the light dims over time, enough that new batteries make a big difference. Its not something that I'll use often, but weekends in the hub it makes a big difference, and nice to take off the headlamp too.

The light is adjustable without positioning the fan, nice feature. I'll have to put a piece of tape over the on offswitches to keep it from turning on when not in use andbeing bumped often, or take out the batteries.

I bungee my sunflower to a20 # propane, so its about 18"off the ice...keeps it from making a4"puddle, so the fan is great to get that warm air back down too the floor

Command Post arrived yesterday. Took about 3 minutes to set up, and another 3 to take down. Fits in bag nicely. Overall, very happy.

Few things i noticed immediately;

Slight tear in a seam on the bag

2 small vents, and windows do not open. I really like how the windows are velcro on the eskimo. Also, when i gave a window a slight tug on a corner to see if it would open, i easily pulled the plastic window from the stiching in that area. So be careful with the windows i guess.

Excited to get it on the ice. Fits great in the car, and is not much bigger in the bag than my eskimo was.

smile