Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Lusid

When to set the hook ? Fishing for crappies with Foam Slip Bobbers

So over the weekend I think I lost 3+ fish due to incorrect timing of setting the hook.

My setup is using the slip bobber six feet off the bottom, using a MEGA GLOW DEMON from custom Jig and spins tipped with a crappie minnow towards the tail.

I'm thinking the crappie only has the minnow by the head and when I set the hook I pull the minnow out. I try to wait until the bobble is about 1" under the water before I set the hook.

So my question is when do I set the hook?

Is this the proper way of baiting the hook? (towards the tail)

Thanks,

Andy

I use a plain hook and hook the minnow just behind the dorsal fin. I barely hook the minnow too, so it swims freely. I'll let the fish take it until I feel like they have it good enough. Sometimes its under water, sometimes it barely moves. Depends on what the fish are doing that day, but in general I have a pretty good hooking percentage.

I usually wait till the bobber is at the bottom of the hole.

I very seldom use a single hook set up for crappies for that very reason. My go to set up is a buckshot rattle spoon or a rattlin flyer--glow type. With the treble hook set up my catch rate went up. I use a spring type bobber set up or a very UL rod. Haven't been a big fan of foam bobber set ups in the winter

I very seldom use a single hook set up for crappies for that very reason. My go to set up is a buckshot rattle spoon or a rattlin flyer--glow type. With the treble hook set up my catch rate went up. I use a spring type bobber set up or a very UL rod. Haven't been a big fan of foam bobber set ups in the winter

Is this with a live minnow or minnow head?

This is my 2nd rod (aka deadstick) therefore the bobber is being used.

I'm not sure if this sounds clear to you, but most days I like to let the bobber go down just a little, where it kind of stops, and then when it starts going down again I set the hook.

That's my ideal situation, some days that's not how they're taking it though.

With a buckshot and a spring bobber, doesnt the spring simply dip down due to the weight of the buckshot?

I generally lip hook my minnows and hook set right away. Then when that fails, it's all time-delay the hook set and watching the bobber. Of which I mostly only notice when it's gone...

yes the buckshot does pull it down but when the fish is on it generally raises some what ----------set the hook

I always try to set the hook when they have the bait in their mouth. smile I also set the hook after going outside, is the saying a watched pot never boils?.

ive only been doing this 3 years but started like you and missed everything. IMO bobbers suck, try a spring bobber rod/combo, much more sensitive and much easier to detect tiniest of bites. it does not matter much what u use for lure/bait but over past 2 years i have gone to rattlin flyers and whole minnows that i hook on through mouth and out back of head. between live minnows and tripwire rod tips success rate skyrocketed rapidly. when using tripwire/spring bobber rods its not as much about the bend of the springbobber as much as watching for a difference of your norm. if u r using minute lure & wax worms/larvae any suttle movement may be a bite, when using rattlin flyer/whole minnow on same setup there is always a bend on the spring bobber but u just have to watch for a difference to happen with less tension or more on the line and you will definitely notice. if u research or try a spring bobber rod or something custom like a power noodle, you will definitely notice the bite faster which makes it easier to set the hook on time. i went from catching 1-3 to catching limits. IMO a highly senstive rod tip is much better and easier than a bobber in the water to catch em.

I use a plain hook and hook the minnow just behind the dorsal fin. I barely hook the minnow too, so it swims freely. I'll let the fish take it until I feel like they have it good enough. Sometimes its under water, sometimes it barely moves. Depends on what the fish are doing that day, but in general I have a pretty good hooking percentage.

The above plus a bobber that is counter weighted enough that only a smidge of the bobber sits above the surface.

If you use a jig and no other weight with a minnow your bobber will tell you exactly when a fish is there. Your bobber will either go down or lay flat. There's lots ways to make it work. Most of it is just trying new things and finding what works for you.

The topic on hand:

When I fish I have a deadstick + my primary jig stick. 2 lines max while on hard water.

I'm talking about the deadstick which I can't man 24/7. Therefore the issue / concern popped up.

The topic on hand only lasts about 5 posts. After that, it usually morph into something completely different. After the second page it winds up in silly town, where it diverges even farther from the original topic...lately to a gun debate.

Does somebody want to have a gun debate? I may have ADD. Wasn't this topic originally crappies eating foam slip bobbers?

I usually let them take it about 4 inches then boom let the pole hit the ceiling and reel in the lips and fry em up. No but seriously 4 inches although I sometimes dont see them take it cuz I jig for crappies usually and if in my house always have a deadstick in the other hole.

I hit em right away. Make sure to cut those foam bobbers down so you have about a 1/4" still sticking up above the water. My favorite deadstick in the house is a small weighted Thill bobber, small splitshot, glo demon and a small crappie minnow hooked thin in front of the dorsal.

I will hook my minnow just under the dorsal fin. I will also let them take the bobber down a ways. Sometimes a foot or so. Dont miss very many.

Over the years I've found it to be true that fish don't have hands.(unless you fish by a nuke plant) So if the bobber moves it's in their mouth. I believe set the hook when you like. So I usually don't wait very long.

I fish with a guy that drives me nuts. His bobber will go down and he'll wait FOREVER! I mean 20-30 seconds to a minute. He always says, "he's just sucking on it" That's where I came up with, "Chuck, fish don't have hands, set the dang hook!"

I suppose that's true!

If the bobber is moving, chances are it's in their mouth.

Less wait, more set.

This is the golden question, and it's always different for eveyone! Some will wait til it hits the bottom of the hole, some will smack it right away!

Me, I take the speed in which the float is going down into consideration... If it's going down quick, set it. If it's going down slow, give it a little time. Heck, sometimes it goes up and will lay sideways in the hole, I smack those right away too.

It always varies.

Jim is right about the bobber laying on it's side, Crappies feed "up" so many times the bobber will tip over... and it happens a lot! When it does, set the hook cause they're on. I never use a split shot cause you'll miss those bites. Always just a jig.