• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which ATV 2-up?

Timber

I am partial to the Arctic cat trvs because I own one and so does my dad. Both are 2007 650's. His has nearly 48,000 miles on it now while I have under 1400. He uses his daily and plows 18 driveways when snow comes. They are built like tanks and hard workers. The newer ones with power steering are much better handling machines. The flexibility that AC offers with their accessories is really second to none.

I can only speak to the Polaris. I have a 2007 X2 500 and it's been a perfect machine for me. Work it hard around the cabin, plowing, ice fishing, trail riding...it's been terrific. Tons of options for accessories, comfortable and the dump box is awesome. I test drove a lot before settling on it, and it has not disappointed me. Just my $.02.

I have a Polaris X2 as well and it's great because of the versatility between a single rider quad with a dump box on the back that can easily be switched over to a 2 up machine that's comfortable to ride. I have a 2009 EFI 500. The wheelbase is the length of a typical 2 up machine.

I'm considering the 550 touring, but also the X2 also. You can't get power steering with the X2. Have you found that to be a problem?

The only reason that I'd want to have power steering is if I were operating tracks a lot of the time or if I were in the mountains and rock climbing.

Personally I would buy a sxs. My next will be a JD.

The JD models are mostly built by Polaris but are cheaper components and slightly different design in the suspension which has actually caused more problems in the a-arms failing.

I'm considering the 550 touring, but also the X2 also. You can't get power steering with the X2. Have you found that to be a problem?

I've never had a machine with power steering..so I can't miss what I've never had smile

It's never crossed my mind to be a problem though. Plowing and working in the woods, hauling wood and rocks, dragging trees, it's never been an issue. The touring is a great machine too, just depends on what you're going to use it for the most. The touring is built around trail riding..with a secondary focus on utility work. The X2 is the opposite, but is still very comfortable on the trail. Personally I just liked the versatility of the X2 and have used it for a lot of things that I never thought I would.

The JD models are mostly built by Polaris

I've heard this before but don't think it's true. Haven't been able to find any other proof on your claims either. There are some parts that can be shared between the 2 machines but it doesn't mean that Polaris builds the Gators.

I've heard this before but don't think it's true. Haven't been able to find any other proof on your claims either. There are some parts that can be shared between the 2 machines but it doesn't mean that Polaris builds the Gators.

I was in the Polaris dealership this fall looking at a Ranger and that came up in the discussion. Polaris manufactures most all of the parts for them but they're changed in some ways obviously for a different target market (ie ergonomics etc) as well as patent change requirements. According to the manager at the local Polaris dealership, they did test rides up in Northern MN this spring and the Kawasaki side by side and the JD Gator were always being wrenched on and most times it was broken a-arms and spindles.

Many, if not most of the parts that go into any of the manufacturers machines are built by other companies to customer specs. I know the company next to my current employer builds or atleast built a lot of steel/structural parts for Polaris. I also don't think they have any die casting or anything else of the sort to make engine cases. In fact, I used to be a die cast operator that made thousands of parts for Polaris, including clutches for both ATVs and snowmobiles. Same thing goes for AC and BRP.

Your claim that Polaris manufactures parts or machines for someone else doesn't stick IMO. I would still like to see documented proof that Polaris builds or designs anything for JD. Not what some dealership, regardless of reputation, has to say.

2c

Floyd,

thanks for your post. That's exactly what I was getting at. It appears to be a Q&A with someone from JD, correct?

But back to the original topic, if I were to get another machine for riding 2-up, I would definitely go SXS, allowing the passenger a better view vs. looking over my head all the time. Not to mention the box for ease of hauling extra supplies while on the trail.

Floyd,

thanks for your post. That's exactly what I was getting at. It appears to be a Q&A with someone from JD, correct?

But back to the original topic, if I were to get another machine for riding 2-up, I would definitely go SXS, allowing the passenger a better view vs. looking over my head all the time. Not to mention the box for ease of hauling extra supplies while on the trail.

Yes,

It was from an ATV magazine article on the gators. I agree with you totally on the sxs ( and they all have their +'s and -'s) but I would not go back to an ATV after having a UTV.

The only thing that I can't understand is why the states are not promoting the use of UTV's in the recreational trail system. IMHO they do less damage than the regular ATV's and would open the areas up to couples and families.

There are some parts that can be shared between the 2 machines

When Polaris started to swap over their front differentials in some of the 4wd model I've heard of a few problems with the center hillard being it has some plastic piece inside and it breaks easier, but can be replaced with a metal one. The metal replacement cage is a John Deere part. As many sportmans and scramblers that have this,there doesn't seem to be that many that break,and I'm sure some that have are due to neglect.

There is also the comet clutch components that are stamped JD (snomo clutch I believe) that will bolt right on to Polaris ATV's.