• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humps (What's Better)..Inside or Outside turn?

LEECH21

I'm looking at a local lake with a lot of mid-lake humps, bars, and reefs. Trying to decide where to go to search for walleyes. When you guys fish humps and bars, would you rather fish an outside turn or inside turn? I know you want to find the steepest break from that structure, but don't know if inside or outside it better? I've had mixed results so far this winter. Thanks for any input.

Don't get caught up in inside and outside so much as where are there active fish. Saddles on the tips can be good with fish relating to the break or just out from the hump. I would check both the inside corners and outside corners if they are in close proximity or fish them on different days to discern which is better. I like inside corners especially if there is a hard breakline present or a deep weed edge. Outside corners can act as underwater points and fish may be a bit more scattered and out into the basin then an inside corner. If you have the time fish them both and let the fish tell you which is better.

Tunrevir~

Good advice.

I think a lot depends on what kind of other "structure" you are finding on the inside or outside. Does one have more of a defined weedline? More gravel and rocks? More of a "transition area" = gravel to mud, weed to sand etc...

So, a lot will depend on what is surrounding that "hump". One hump in the same lake may be better on the inside turn and another hump might be better on an outside turn...all dependent on whats surrounding each individual hump.

On ice, I'd definitely drill multiple holes around the structure and keep your options open. Stay mobile.

Summertime, how I'd fish the structure would depend on depth, water clarity, wind direction and as mentioned earlier, surrounding weedlines/structure.

One of my favorite lakes has sharp breaking edge on the north and east side of a point. I'll work this if the wind is blowing into it. On the opposite side of the lake, there's an even sharper break on an east shoreline that cuts out towards the midlake basin to the east. The inside corner of this structure has been great with a south wind.

Water clarity is 14 feet and depths range from 20-30 feet.