• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake trout rod for Jaw jackers?

CaptSpike

Any suggestions? The two rods I use for lakers are too stiff to bend down to the Jaw Jacker. Would like to get one heavy enuf for larger fish and work with a Jaw Jacker. My nephew has a Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rod but I didn't check if that would work. I like heavy rods to drive the hook home on the lakers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Spike

I didn't even know what a Jaw Jacker was until I Googled it. Make sure you say "fishing tackle" too and don't just Google Jaw Jacker. shockedshocked

I think most MH rods would work. The mackinaw might be a bit short. The baitcast version is 36 inches, but with the long butt there's not a lot of rod left over. But it may work just fine.

If you look up Automatic Fisherman, which is like the Jaw Jacker, I believe the proper rod comes with it. They make various models/weights, with one specifically for trout. I've handled the trout model, and the rod bends nicely but retains plenty of backbone for big fish. Definitely stronger and more beefy than the Mack, which is itself a nice rod. Lots of guides on the AF rod, too.