• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First timer in need of help...

So I'm about to start my first rod build. (cheap ice rod to try it...) Today I started to practice some wraps and guide wraps. Trim wraps went fine, but I can't seem to get the thread to climb the guide foot. It keeps sliding off and resting under the foot. Since these were practice wraps I did not tack glue the guides down first. Will that fix my problem right there? Or is there something I am doing wrong or advice/tips anybody has for me? I'm waiting for my dryer and stands to come in the mail, but was itching to try some wraps.

Thanks!

MyDogRyder,

Welcome to the sickness we call rod building.

As far as your issue, I assume you are temporarily taping your guides in place.There is nothing wrong with that.

The first tip I would have for you would be to prep your guide feet/foot with a file so that it is almost sharp at the end and makes a smooth transition from blank to guide. Do a tube search on fishing rod guide preparation.

Good wraps

Andy

Another question... My dryer came today and i got my guide feet filed, so I am ready to start my build. When I purchased my "lowest price" components to not spend too much on a new hobby, my fiberglass rob blank diameter is smaller than the inside diameter of the cork handle. What should I do when attaching the blank to the handle? Fill it up with epoxy? Wrap the butt of the blank with tape to make the fit snug?

Thanks for the help.

Another question... My dryer came today and i got my guide feet filed, so I am ready to start my build. When I purchased my "lowest price" components to not spend too much on a new hobby, my fiberglass rob blank diameter is smaller than the inside diameter of the cork handle. What should I do when attaching the blank to the handle? Fill it up with epoxy? Wrap the butt of the blank with tape to make the fit snug?

Thanks for the help.

I would just do masking tape abors and make sure you completely cover them in expoxy as you slide on the handle. it's the same process as if you were doing a reel seat. this is what I do to the ice rods I build and never had a issue with doing it like this. don't forget to put a winding check on top of the handle to finish it off.

I'll try the masking tape arbors. As for the winding check??? What is that/what does it do?

Also, what would you guys suggest I do to the butt of the handle to cover the hole with the end of the blank in it?

And last question. Is there a spine to ice rod blanks like there are on open water rods? If so, do I want it on top or underneath?

Thanks guys. Hopefully my end product will be good enough to post a picture.

I'll try the masking tape arbors. As for the winding check??? What is that/what does it do?

Also, what would you guys suggest I do to the butt of the handle to cover the hole with the end of the blank in it?

And last question. Is there a spine to ice rod blanks like there are on open water rods? If so, do I want it on top or underneath?

Thanks guys. Hopefully my end product will be good enough to post a picture.

a winding check is just a small rubber piece that covers the hole in the handle where the rod blank meets the handle.

this is a winding check(rubber piece on top of the cork) : (sorry for the unclear pic)

full-29971-29803-100_3751_handlecloseup.

sounds like you may have a rod handle for a open water rod instead of a ice rod handle. if this is the case then you can just use a butt cap to finish off the end of the handle.

yes ice rods have spines. if you are bulding a spinning rod then put the guides 180 degrees to the spine so they are on the bottom of the rod. if you build a casting rod then the guides would go right on the spine.