• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New MN gun proposals. time to make calls

HF0238 – Alters language of 609.66

This bill makes it a felony to carry a firearm on school property for persons who have a permit to carry a pistol. Currently it is a misdemeanor for someone who has a permit to carry.

HF239 – Posted businesses (establishments)

Currently it is a petty misdemeanor and a $25 fine and your gun cannot be confiscated and you cannot be arrested if you are asked to leave a posted establishment and do not. The proposed law HF0239 changes existing law and provides for a GROSS Misdemeanor for the first time and a felony for the second and subsequent occurrences if a permit holder does not leave when asked.

HF-0240 – Sheriffs can require a mental health professional sign off on someone in order for that person to get a permit to carry.

HR-0241 – Assault Weapons

This bill bans from ownership any firearm that accepts detachable magazines and fixed magazines (of a specified size) and also includes shotguns and pistols.

This is a total rewrite of 624.712 Subdivision 7. And adds a prohibited section 624.7133 making it “unlawful for any person to manufacture, import, transfer, or possess an assault weapon. (624.7133 Subd. 2)

The bill requires current owners (if eligible) to register their firearms by September 1 2013, remove them from the state of Minnesota, or turn them into a law enforcement agency for destruction.

HF 241 – Ban on high capacity magazines

This bill would ban any magazine capable of holding over 10 rounds.

This is an arbitrary number driven by politics and not by science or study. The Minnesota legislature has decided to dictate to law abiding men and women what some bureaucrat believes is sufficient firepower to be used in self-defense.

I contact my reps last week and they said they are against this bill.

he also stated that he is afraid the Dem's will pass this.

I have no issue with no guns in the schools or the penality for carrying one into school. We have to try and stop some of the issues we are having.

I know, it won't help but I see no reason that anyone has to carry into a school. Noone.

I have no issue with a doc having to say you are competent enough to have a carry permit.

I also realize that we cannot have our cake and eat it too.

We have to try to curb some issues with guns and making sure a person is stable to carry is not all that bad. I would rather not have people very unstable carring guns.

Quote:
I have no issue with no guns in the schools or the penality for carrying one into school.

I do. That is the exact wrong way to approach this. A criminal bent on mayhem will ignore any such law - we've seen it over and over again; it will only prevent law-abiding citizens from helping to prevent or at least mitigate future tragedies. I'm not saying we need to turn schools into hardened bunkers, but I am ALL in favor of allowing staff who have gone through proper training to carry on campus.

I am a little confused. There is this also stated in HF 241

3.4(2) semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a

3.5fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than seven rounds of ammunition;

I should have stated it better, I would have no issue with a staff person, trained in handling a weapon in schools but, no others like the general public coming into a school with a weapon. Just don't see a need for it.

I do understand what you are saying about the criminals or those looking to do harm to others.

Good thing they stopped corporal punishment years back or teachers that would backhand these mental health issues related kids, there'd likely be more shootings or more plotting revenge, those children are the most difficult to deal with because you can't visually tell who has what, teachers would take it as insubordination, anyway once on the back burner now to the front, what scares me is the order should have started with the mentally ill and background checks and what can be done to make that a solid system, why tackle certain guns really when the issue is still the one pulling any trigger.

I normally dont carry, but I do on occasions. I have been on school property while carrying, just to pick up my son from school. I never got out of the truck, and no one knew any better, but I sure wasnt going to make a special trip home to drop off my gun, before picking my son up at school. I have also picked him up at school prior to going out hunting, or on a hunting trip, where there was guns packed in the vehicle, again, by doing so, I would be a felon with this new law that is proposed.

I could see no need to go into the school with it, but to be on school property, I think is rather vague.

All I can say is contact our State Reps and let them know how you feel about the issue. Some will vote along their party lines irregardless of how their constituents feel and some will bow to pressure if they feel it will affect them in the next election. Here is a list that can be cut and pasted for emails:

Further down is a list with all contact information.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Email and Call!

House Public Safety Committee:

Representative Michael Paymar (DFL) – Chairman

651-296-4199

E-mail: [email protected]

Representative Paul Rosenthal (DFL) – Vice Chairman

651-296-7803

Representative Tony Cornish ® – Republican Lead

651-296-4240

Representative Debra Hilstrom (DFL)

651-296-3709

Representative Brian Johnson ®

651-296-4346

Representative Tim Kelly ®

651-296-8635

Representative Andrea Kieffer ®

651-296-1147

Representative John Lesch (DFL)

651-296-4224

Representative Kathy Lohmer ®

651-296-4244

Representative Joe Mullery (DFL)

651-296-4262

Representative Jim Newberger ®

651-296-2451

Representative Shannon Savick (DFL)

651-296-8216

Representative Dan Schoen (DFL)

651-296-4342

Representative Steve Simon (DFL)

651-296-9889

Representative Erik Simonson (DFL)

651-296-4246

Representative Linda Slocum (DFL)

651-296-7158

Representative Mark Uglem ®

651-296-5513

Representative John Ward (DFL)

651-296-4333

How would this affect hunting on property owned by school districts? Metro it wouldnt be an issue, but there is land owned and managed for school districts that are currently open to public hunting. That by law is considered school property, you could get tagged with a felony hunting property that is nowhere near a school.

I have no issue with a doc having to say you are competent enough to have a carry permit.

We have to try to curb some issues with guns and making sure a person is stable to carry is not all that bad. I would rather not have people very unstable carring guns.

Harvey, what if that person making that decision didn't care for your political point of view? I've read numerous times on here where you have called all politicians crooks, thieves, out for themselves, they should all be thrown out etc etc!!!

Just where is the line where you would be considered stable? Something to think about!

I am a little confused. There is this also stated in HF 241

3.4(2) semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a

3.5fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than seven rounds of ammunition;

Yes that means almost any 10/22 or 22 with the tube feed would be illegal, almost all mid size or full size handguns that have above a ten round magazine, any auto loading shotgun with a thumbhole or pistol grip stock would be illegal, any autoloading rifle with a bipod or anything else that can be used for a forward grip would be illegal.

You would also be an automatic felon for possessing any of these items, or 30 rd magazines, or any of the other banned items, which means you would not be able to ever own a gun in MN!