• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New spinnerbait rod

cjac

I'm getting a situation specific rod for throwing spinnerbaits and I'm curious what most call an ideal spinnerbait rod. No, I don't just mean a rod for throwing a white spinnerbait towards shore from 8 foot of water. I throw a lot of the Northstar 1/2oz baits for reference.

I pretty much know what I want but I'm interested in hearing what others like, and I need some warm water thoughts 'bout now. Plus, work is gonna be boring tomorrow....

I use an older g loomis 6'9" extra fast spinnerbait rod. I prefer the rod shorter because i fish a lot of spinnerbaits around trees and docks. In the fall I throw the bigger double willow leaf bladed baits with a 7' medium heavy st croix rod. the loomis i use the little side armed roll cast and the st croix i huck it out as far as i can and slow crawl it off the bottom. Both of the rods pull other duty to. I can't afford 40 rods.

I did some research and reading reviews on purchasing a spinnerbait rod also. I just bought a Falcon Lowrider Lfc 5-17 med/hvy with a moderate fast tip. $150.00 rod. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest. Love the feel of this rod even before i have yet to cast it yet or set the hook. Personally i still prefer the fully corked butt section rods, which this rod has. Makes more sense to me on a cranking or spinnerbait rod when you are retrieving your bait and have your rod on your ribs. Have a buddy that has a couple Falcon rods and tells me you will love them... Check them out.....

Hiya -

I have two, both do other duty as well.

For tight quarters around cover like rushes, I use the Powell Squarebill rod. 6'9" so a little easier to do short roll casts where you're hitting little lanes in the rushes and plenty of power to get a fish's head up and haul them out.

For more open water flats work, I used to use a 7' or 7'3" Med-heavy fast but this year am switching to a 7' heavy mod-fast glass/graphite composite (Powell 706CB). I like a mod-fast for longer casts and I think I'm really going to like the composite. I have a tendency to pull baits away from fish sometimes (hair trigger hooksets) and the composite blank should help that. This rod will also do double duty as a buzzbait and topwater rod.

I must be the only one that likes a more moderate action for spinnerbaits, I typically throw them on a 7' mh f is what its listed as but had a pretty soft tip. I got rid of that rod last year and am going to have to take a look this year at different rods, I might go with the Powell square bill rod, that one has been pretty high on the list and seeing how RK likes it for exactly what I wanted it for that moves it ahead of others on the list. for really tight cover though I love my little 5'6" mh pistol grip, you can sling a spinnerbait under just about anything with that rod.

RR316, you're not the only one that likes the softer tip. I have the Powell square bill rod and love it for tight cover and spot casting, but I also like a little more of a moderate action when covering water and fan casting a flat with a spinnerbait.

I just got the Powell 7'5" glass composite yesterday for midrange cranks and it feels really nice. So chop 5 inches off and add a little more power and that's the 706CB that RK mentioned. I think I'm going to grab one of them. As far as an all round spinnerbait and multi-use rod that square bill is a pretty nice rod.

I must be the only one that likes a more moderate action for spinnerbaits,

I definitely like a mod-fast, especially in more open water/longer cast situations. The Powell squarebill rod is listed as an ex-fast but it isn't. I would say it's between a fast and mod-fast, but when you do load it up and get into the power of the blank it has a lot of swat - part of what makes it such a good close quarters spinnerbait rod.