Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BigFish1

What is the best sled for ice fishing?

I am thinking about buying a new or slightly used sled for ice fishing. I go up to Canada a lot and I'm tired of getting stuck with my Polaris Indy. I would just be using the sled for ice fishing with portables. Also, next year I will be putting out a 6' x 10' permanent fish house with it possibly. Looking for opinions! Thanks in advance.

The AC Bearcat has a huge track and is designed for deep snow and heavy loads. You can get a fan cooled 2 stroke up to a 1100 4 stroke. I would start there --- disclaimer --- I am biased towards AC.

I have a 02 yammie venture 600 2-up. Great sled, power, comfort, starts/runs/pulls great (three portables all in line, and gear at times, with two guys on it). Trail riding is great with it. Can't say anything bad about it. BUT... it doesn't have a rear "rack" and that would be nice for ice fishing. If I was looking specifically for ice fishing, I would likely be in toughguys camp. Buddy has one, nice sled for what you will use it for. Good luck!

I have a Polaris 500 Fan 2-up with reverse, it works very well for me.

I built an auger rack and a steel tube rack for the back, am planning

a side mount for a bucket for minnows, lots of things a guy can do to

trick'em up. If you stay light with your perm you should manage with

a sled until the snow gets too deep.

Any long track, deep lug, sled with a fan cooled good size motor would be the best. Two up seats are nice because you can always haul a poor buddy along to help pay for the gas! wink

Also, next year I will be putting out a 6' x 10' permanent fish house with it possibly. Looking for opinions! Thanks in advance.

Is that permanent on skids? Pulling a permanent can change the type of sled you could be looking at, quiet frankly, you probably won't pull it far if theres a lot of fresh snow on the lake no matter what sled you have.

I've got a 8x8 straight wall on skids, it pulls really easy as long as the snow is firm / hard or it's on ice BUT get some fresh snow and it piles up in front of the house and stops everything..... then the cus words start to fly! mad

If you're thinking about pulling a permanent, I would definitely look at a Arctic Cat Bearcat style of sled, 20" track would be a nice plus.

If you don't find a Bearcat style of sled to your liking, take a look at the touring style of sleds, most have a 136" track ( 2 ups ) and nice features. I'm always keeping an eye out for my ' fishing sled ' I want to put together one day. One thing I'm looking for is a Arctic Cat with this style of rack pictured below, my cousin has one on his Pantera and we can drop 2 Marcum LX5's side by side in there, nice way to carry them or other items. You could find this rack on the Pantera's, 2 up Touring 4 strokes and probably a few others.

full-623-29694-arcticcatrack.jpg

As far as a liquid compared to a fan cooled, I'm pretty sure my fishing sled will be fan cooled OR possibly a 4 stroke. In my experience in the past with a 2 stroke and pulling my permanent, I've had trouble building too much heat in the engine which eventually cost me a set of jugs and pistons. That sled was a 900 Mtn Cat, I would not look at a Mtn sled or any style of sporty trail sled ( unless it's fan cooled ), these sleds have been lightened up over the years and often one of the places they found their weight savings was bringing down the cooling system capacity. They work fine running on trails or off trail but you start to pull heavier loads with them, it doesn't take long to build heat and cook the engine.

Pulling portable fish houses won't be a problem with any sled but when you mention that permanent, that changes things.

Mike

Good feedback Mike. I have had about 5 different brands of sleds over the years but never an AC. That Bearcat looks like something I may think about when I buy the next one! wink

I would find a used skandic if I had the money.

Quote from ski-doo webpage-"Strength, comfort and the industry’s largest track (156 x 24 in.) ensure the Skandic SWT snowmobile gets the job done. No matter how demanding."

There are videos on the tube of a guy backing his sled into 5 feet of snow and driving right out.

Good point on the Skandic. These are also designed as work sleds. I've heard they can be difficult to locate although I suppose you could order one through a dealer.

Like Mike posted the pic of the T660 (exact sled as mine). Since my family loves to trail ride and I have to have a "fishing sled" I eventually ended up with a T660 Turbo Touring. The rear seat is removable and allows me to haul a fair amount of fishing gear in the rear rack. I found out the hard way that the turbo engine is a must for busting through the deep snow and slush.

As far as a 6x10 permanent skid shack, I would hope it's all aluminum. whistle That will take a heavy duty low/high range gear snowmobile to pull and with several inches of snow it would be very tough going.

bought new in 02, this 570 Panther has been an awesome fishing sled, I found a 1.25x136 track to replace the original 3/4" track, what a difference!

full-24-29710-photo.jpg

sweeeet! Kind of what I'm looking for except I would love to have that rack off of the Touring like in the picture above, some Panthers have them some don't, I have no idea why.

Been up to Buffalo minneman?

Mike

I've only got 1 trip in so far this season and its going to be a few weeks before I get up there now, I was hoping to have few trips in by now but that's been impossible!

Mike

sweeeet! Kind of what I'm looking for except I would love to have that rack off of the Touring like in the picture above, some Panthers have them some don't, I have no idea why.

Been up to Buffalo minneman?

Mike

MN MIke, you could always order that rack and I am quite sure it could be adapted to fit other AC models. Might be something to check out.