• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late ice crappies?

th64

Ready to take a trip anywhere in the state or Canada for a good crappie bite. Not asking for much just size, numbers and cheap accomodations!

Bonus fish are a bonus and welcome-2 years ago we caught some tullies that was cool. 3 years ago we went to a lake where every crappie was either 14''

or 15'' wow. Last year the ice was dump. dump. hoping for the best this year, any ideas?

Yup I agree with Jim, hit that lake again! Otherwise there are a many lakes that kick out nice fish, slab size. Ive been on one every time im home and cant wait for late ice. Also I have a cabin on Upper Red and the number of crappies showing up so far this year is very interesting. That has been good to me in the past on late ice. Like Jim mentioned, Rainy is an unbelievable fishery for giant slabs. But the canadian side seems to hold the better numbers of giant slabs. I cant wait for the ice to start giving way and turning black. Nothing like fishing in t-shirts and catching big slabs.

We stayed at a resort in canada a few years ago(5?)_we talked with the resort owner last year and he said the bite was very slow. When we were there all the crappies were the same size (flippin huge!) and thats fun but is a fishery with no future-just one fluke good spawn in a lake that is usually good for other stuff. We went to Labells and fished crappies 2 years ago in the fall with little luck; mainly that trip was for smallies and we did well for those, but because we had so little luck with the specks it would be hard to sell another trip out there to my friend.

Thanks though and keep the ideas coming-we can stay on or off the lake.

BTW curious about Bowstring, Winnie, Kab, ---------pm me if you do not want to give away secrets. Thanks

Rainy is a no go. The Canada lake if you guys want to try it is called Off Lake they had one good year class years ago and thats it. PM me if you do not want everyone to know, we do this once a year and always change lakes so we will not spank your lake/spot. Or tell me a type of lake that works best for late ice, your help is appreciated(some resort will thank you too as it is hard to book that time of year and I will tell them you sent us if you want)

The best way to ruin your spot late ice crappies, we learned this one the hard way, used to be the only lonely's for many years, kept fishing it after walleye/pike ended and ended is right, there were over 100 fishhouses on that spot this year, 10 years ago we were it, we screwed up and didn't leave after walleye ended, biggest mistake fishing in my life.

If only we had a way to send one guy a message-oh yeah pm me.

Because we go so late we only go once- we always switch lakes and we do not blab. I mentioned Off because it is so Off(ha ha) otherwise that would be lake Wishyouknew(ha ha again)just some pannies.

Good Day

The crappies have definately started to shift tactics. Yesterday I was able to catch a few nice ones in front of a spawning bay. still deep but they were packed up and aggressive. Wont be long and those same fish will be right in the mouth of bays, usually getting into those bays before ice out, not all but some. Interestingly tho, the best bite is in the evenings or after dark in the shallow water, but still can be found deep during daylight hours, not far away

We are going to LOTW, my friends sister lives in Canora she has found some guide for us too. Would love to get into some Tullies or Witefish, hope to got some crappies, but would also settle for walleyes I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.