• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know this is off topic but....

CANOPY SAM

Sorry bout' this folks, I know it's off topic but,

Do you folks know of any way to keep the neighbor's cats out of your buildings?

I've got all my toys, including my new boat in storage down in my barn, and when I went down there this morning the whole barn wreaked of cat spray! mad Including my new boat!

Not exactly sure if the cat got inside, but you know the dog gone smell...it goes everywhere, and gets into everything!

Is there anything I can spray, sprinkle or pour in or around the building to keep the dang cat outta there?

Our dog would keep em' away, but I'm sure they're going in or around there at night.

Do some research in the garden section of FFarm or other venues You will find various replellants and one of them just might do the trick. I think when you check into the gardening section here in the Forums you will also receive suggestions from folks who have had the sme problem.

Do not let anybody convince you to sic your dog, or anybody elses dog onto killing cats. It is barbaric and ignorant....does noting for the dog and makes the owner look like a troglydite throwback.

How about plugging the holes where they get in?? If you can't do that then the live trap and tuna idea would be my next step. Would be real leery of setting a conibear trap, I had a neighbor that set out some anti-freeze to kill some coons, forgot about it, turned his dog out one day, and got to hold it in his arms while it died. Same could happen with a conibear trap, come to get something out of the barn, your dog is with, next thing you know, dead dog.

Have you been able to positively identify the cat yet? Just wondering if you know for sure its the neighbor cat and not a feral cat. If the smell is pretty bad it might be that a feral cat or two has taken up residence in your barn for the winter.

I'd probably go with the live trap as well. There are repellants you can use but the cat will likely just move on and start causing problems somewhere else. Once you trap it bring the cat in the trap over to the neighbors for indentification. If its their cat tell them to keep the cat inside and off your property, try to be nice about it the first time. Keep the live trap set up in different areas after first trapping the cat as it might still be back. If you trap the neighbors cat more than once I'd return it a 2nd time but tell them that next time I'm taking it to the animal shelter and they can claim it there.

If it turns out to be a feral cat and you trap it you can bring it to a shelter. Some shelters will put it down and some will fix it, vaccinate it, and then release it somewhere. You may want to pick a shelter based on which final outcome you'd prefer.

IMO house cats have no place outdoors. They kill a lot of native wildlife just for fun, they wander everywhere and make messes like you are experiencing, and if not fixed then can lead to a feral cat problem in a very short amount of time.

nofish's post reminded me of a situation I had a few years back.

I had a stinky smelly think in my garage. I couldn't find any tracks but since Avoca is infested with stray cats I assumed it was one. One night I walked into the garage, turned on the light, and found Mr. smelly. Turns out it was a male mink that had taken up residence in the garage.

I'd see if I could seal up the building better if that's possible. if it's your neighbor's cat this time, it will just be something else next time.

I might hesitate on killing the neighbors pet. the tough guy talk sounds cool on the internet, a real life war with your neighbors isn't going to be that much fun. plus, who wants to be "that" neighbor, besides wettschreck.

spraying on everything sounds like an unclipped tomcat, which probably means its feral. or you have neighbors that are not responsible pet owners.

Some thoughtful suggestions here. And a good reminder that critters OTHER than a cat can put off a powerful musky odor.....mink being one of them. And many others when they are stressed.

Hell, I'm not too sure I don't put off a stink when I'm stressed~ Ha Ha!

Nofish is probably close to it. A real sportsman does not intentionally kill anything for no reason or to waste it. I dumped Field and Stream magazine a few years back because one of thier more braindead radio "personalities" got into a discussion about give rating points for various critters you could run over with your truck. At first I thought it was a tasteless joke. But he, and his equally ignorant pal, were serious. I went right home and wrote a letter to Field and Stream-and some of the people on the staff who I knew- they could take their magazine and stuff it. I think we had like three generations of the family that had subscribed.

That sort of behavior is primitive. If you have a problem cat, or woodchuck or gopher trap and kill it or shoot and kill it quickly and cleanly. Real men don't use vehicles to kill creatures.

Ufatz's got it. What sort of sportsman runs over ANY animal for fun? The fact that its a cat has nothing to do with the fact that running it over is unethical.

If you have an animal causing problems on your property there dozens of ethical ways of dealing with it. Running it over with an ATV is not one of them.

All apologies to the OP Canopy Sam as he has a bit of a smelly problem, and the thread has turned into a bit of a redneck/high horse/troglydite throwback bit, on it's way to silly town which would be bad............and all he is doing is asking for a bit of advice. So, in the flavor of HSO's "We share info" here we go, like it or not.

1. Have to ask the question. Are you sure it's a cat? If not a cat, eliminate the animal.

2. If a cat, are you sure it's a neighbor cat and not a stray? If it's a stray, eliminate the animal.

3. If a neighbor cat, a nice chat with the neighbor is in order. Ask them to keep their animals out of your out building, day and night.

4. If said neighbor cat still keeps coming by making smelly, a live trap will contain it. Then bring it to the neighbor and show them the cat is on the prowl.

5. Hopefully this stops the kitty action in your out building.

6. If cat patrols continue to happen, and the neighbor knows about it, trap/take to shelter/take to owner/kill said cat(s). It's your choice.

If there are critters in your out buildings the only way to get rid of the smell is to get rid of the critters. One critter will invite other critters and it will only get worse.

Hopefully these ideas will help stop the smell in your building from getting worse.

Is your storage building a fairly modern pole barn type of thing or more like some old farm barn thing with a bunch of gaps?

Stop this cat and you'll just have another. Especially if it's a stray. Gotta seal that thing up.

Also, try OUT! pet odor remover for the pee. It works. Well, it works as good as anything. After 15 years in a shed, mice had pretty much filled the bow battery compartment of my boat with S&P. Seriously, there was fuzz and chewed up paper nests in every nook and cranny in that boat, except the bow battery compartment which was apparently the bathroom. Shop vac, soap and water, more soap and water, carpet cleaner, carpet cleaner cleaned it up but it still stunk. That OUT stuff killed the odor. Took multiple applications over a couple months, but it killed it.