• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow Goose 2013

Lot of birds bugged out last night. Few medium size groups around. Lot more ducks. Still feeding groups in the fields surrounding my spread. Managed to lure in a few of the new flocks this morning. Tough getting multiple kills in the strong wind. full-283-31896-2013_04_0810.52.36.jpg

Bird on the right is actually an adult like the one next to it. Neck shot sailer into the mud that the hound made a 300+ yard blind on. Was a bit nervous what she was bringing back. Thats how it looks after washing it off in the pond. Never seen such a bloody bird.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be interesting to see what happens to all the waterfowl with this winter storm hitting the main flocks!

Thinking the same thing. Heard two feet possible in Rapid City and points east. Good grief. This is one of the most ridiculous springs I can remember.

I'm supposed to meet a guide on friday, are there going to be any birds left in SD or should i start looking for a ND guide?

B-

Lots and lots of snow in Nodak still. With the way this weather is shaping up, South Dakota should have birds for a while yet. I'd call the guide, regardless, simply because they got pounded today with snow. He might have a change of plans for you depending on his location.

Old girl finally drew a hunt with some action. full-283-31922-2013_04_0909.45.05.jpg

Big push of birds flying high back into sodak last evening. Only a few low birds gave the spread a look. Was surprised at the number of birds in the area this morning but most were adults. Took about a 25 mile loop around to known bird holding fields and was even more surprised at the numbers. Saw over a dozen roost/feeds going on. Two within a half mile of my spread. Bring lots of drill bits if you're setting socks. 12 degrees this morning. At least you can drive into most fields until the next warmup.

I'm supposed to meet a guide on friday, are there going to be any birds left in SD or should i start looking for a ND guide?

B-

With low temps in North Dakota for quite a while, my guess is that Northern Sodak/Southern NoDak will be VERY good for the next two weeks minimum. Last weekend was tough decoying with most birds being darn near adults. If you can find sheet water, your headed in the right direction. This weekend we are going to try less decoys and put all 7 rotaries out the first hunt and see if "less is more" for the first hunt. Flagging to a certain point seemed to make the birds more interested as well. At times I over flagged when they got too close, which hurt us, but when they were around 100 yards and saw my flag going, they locked up quickly.

Don't count on sheet water. Walked accross areas that ducks were swimming in yesterday. Spookiest birds I've ever encountered. Have even flocks of ducks and specks/cacklers flaring at 75 yards like someone in the spread is waving a Perkins sized red flag. Driving down the road, ducks and geese flush out when over 1/4 mile away. Gotta be the crazy weather.

Just got the call and I guess I'm heading out over the weekend, have a 15,000 acre farm to try this on for the first time, could really care less if I even fire a shell, but should be fun and entertaining having 0 expectations. ND, with the weather could be great or poor I'm guessing. Is it a standard 50 dollar NR fee or can you get a weekend or is there that license option, going to dig later tonight and get licensed etc. Just curious, thanks guys.

Wow! Sky was covered this morning. Mostly flocks of 20 or less. Less adult supervision headed north. full-283-31969-2013_04_1012.01.09.jpg

Need to pick one for the wall. full-283-31970-2013_04_1012.05.46.jpg

One on the right is a much bigger bird but head not full colored and wing busted badly. Flying mount to match a snow. Now in search of a barnacled rossie. Had one couple years ago but wasn't in a mood for taxidermy.

Been following this thread over the last few weeks. I'm interested in the observations/assertions of juvies being in separate flights from adults.

Aren't these huge flights of birds essentially bunched up family groups...like Canadians? Or are the juvenile birds really bunching up together without adults in amongst them?

This just seems strange to me.

Thanks for posting pics, Bryce. Looks like you've got a couple real happy chocolates there!

Sorry Bryce was just reading your post figuring maybe that's where you were the big push of birds flying high back into SoDak last night only a few low birds gave the spread a look ? and then seeing dead birds lol. SD, birds, decoys= dead SD birds to me lol. Your yesterday 3:08PM post ?

CS- As adults have the highest priority to get to the tundra and start breeding, you see a lot of adults and young adults mixed in with each other. Seeing as the migration has literally halted due to the weather, some juvies have migrated as far as the adults. Last weekend we shot younger adults (typically 2+ years old) but we did see some young birds mixed in with the adults at times. We'll be going back this weekend, and with this storm coming through, one can only hope that it will really push the juvies north and keep the adults from moving too much further.(at least in my case) Last weekend we did what we could. Some bad shooting, and less than favorable conditions, we eeked out roughly 35 birds in two days.(one banded) hopefully this weekend is less harsh on us. full-40309-31976-goose1.jpg

full-40309-31977-goose2.jpg

full-40309-31978-presentation1.jpg

Canopy, the juvies arnt in a hurry to get up north because they do not lay eggs. With that being said the mature and often the oldest birds are the ones that push up north as fast as they can to get to the best spot to produce young. An adult snow goose is BY FAR the smartest migrating bird that I know off. They can be over 30 years old and have seen every decoy spread there is. I shot a snow a few years back that was banded 28 years before I shot it and it was mature when they banded it.

Snow geese are nothing like canadians. I really don't see how they can fly in family groups cause some flocks can have over 20, 000 birds in it but I could be wrong. In the fall I could see family groups but not in the spring.

If you haven't hunted or even watched the main migration in the spring it is unbelieveable and everyone should experience it...

Bryce, you're saying that you've been seeing numbers like that in nd?

Full disclaimer. Video is in sodak on my way back from dumping garbage. Could easily duplicate this many times over north of the border. Was just on my mind as I was thinking about youtubing some retreives to get to my wife. Every picture I have posted is of birds that have dropped on nodak soil. Everything since Sunday evening over a small spread. 250 sillos and 1 e-caller.full-283-31999-2013_04_1021.08.53.jpg

full-283-32016-2013_04_1113.23.04.jpg

full-283-32017-2013_04_1114.10.58.jpg

Beat up by the snow this morning. Gonna pull the spread in a bit, take a warm shower and go have some surprisingly tasty ribs in Fullerton. Sillos and speakers all stuffed full of snow. Not worth fighting. Gonna be a fight just picking up. At least I can drive out. Betting I will find a couple more drifted over. Shot like dog poo. Decent shooting would have doubled the take and 1 man 50 not out of the question with great shooting.