• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow Goose 2013

Who's getting the itch. Already have video and photos out of Arkansas but they all have unapproved advertising. Guessing the guys have some pucker factor if laying in blinds today with the severe weather. Sketchy reports of birds as far north as Nebraska and not a whole lot of snow between them and Canada. Might turn into an early and stretched out season again but wouldn't bet against Mother Nature throwing in a few curves. If everything comes together, we should top the 1000 decoy mark this year with at least 3 callers. Freelancing Sodak probably not in the budget unless it's just a quick weekend gig to join up with buddies. Will wait patiently until they invade the honey hole areas around our Nodak camp.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it comes like it did last year. Didnt do any out of state hunting and killed 89 snows. I cant argue with that kind of number around here! any ouy of state hunting will be done along the missouri river in south west Iowa. Not sure about you guys but I love the risk/reward with snows! Always a chance of the mother load days! Good hunting.

Good snowline setting up in the Dakota's!

Last year the majority of the snows flew thru by mid March!

At least so far no threat of sprong floods. grin

Two years ago in SoDak it was flood city....and the fields were a nightmare. Last year was nice and dry smile Can't wait to knock down some salt N pepper!!

I'm beyond excited. Never hit the spring hunt but me and a couple buddies jumped in head first. So far we have 1900 dekes & getting another 500 in 2 weeks, 2 ecalls, 4 blinds & 10 cases of black cloud. Got my new Beretta a couple weeks ago, now I just need to find a tube extension and it's on like Donkey Kong! Now I just need to figure out where to go... smile

Seriously though, being very general, where should we be looking? I drive from Williston to Big lake & back every 20 days so I should be able to find something, just wanna know if you guys can get me started. Also, what's some other stuff we need to know/buy for snow hunting? We're all new at it, and we can use any tips you wanna give us!

I'm beyond excited. Never hit the spring hunt but me and a couple buddies jumped in head first. So far we have 1900 dekes & getting another 500 in 2 weeks, 2 ecalls, 4 blinds & 10 cases of black cloud.

So does that mean I can leave my decs at home when I come out to hunt with you this Spring? smile I got another couple hundred socks and a half dozen blinds to add to the mix. Do you guys have a roto machine or any fliers yet?

I've never hunted the snows coming north. I'd really love to give this a try, but obviously can't offer much insight on where to go, or how to set up.

I live in TRF, MN., and would be more than willing to drive over to Devils Lake or central NoDak to join in with a group. I have around 400-500 snow goose rags that I use in the fall.

Would anyone be willing to allow me to join in with your group once the birds reach North Dakota?

We also have a large tract of family land out by Hurdesfield/Harvey area. Not even sure if the birds move thru there in the spring, but we sure see our share come thru in the fall. I can confidently say this land is available to hunt if a group wants to help me hunt it?

I'm looking forward to a good pass shoot. Decoying snows is fun, but it's a lot more relaxing to find that flyover spot on a windy day, where the birds are trickling from field to field in low flocks of 3-10 birds. Find a cozy little fence row, sit back, drink your coffee, and wait for the next flock. No getting up at 2 a.m. to set 2,000 dekes. No muddy fields. No disappointment as the flocks swing wide after all that work and you're stuck there. Just move down the fence row and wait. Doesn't always work that well, but when it does, BOY, is it a treat!

No machines yet feathers, we were planning on just using flags. We don't necessarily need you to bring em when you come, but from what I hear you can never have too many!!

Bryce, almost all of the dekes are a buddy's, I haven't spent much at all. Getting closer to our goal of paying cash for a house!!

Tyler, I like pass shooting, but I LOVE committed birds. Did quite a bit of pass shooting/sneaking this fall since i didnt have dekes, so im looking forward to shooting some cupped birds. Thanks for the tip though!

Sam, I'd like to say yes, but I really don't like hunting with people I don't know or at least someone in the party knows and can vouch for em. It has nothing to do with not wanting to share spots or anything against you, im sure you're a good and safe hunter. I've hunted with a couple meatheads in the past and never care to do it again. Sorry smirk

Our group has 1k Deadly decoys: they are very light weight and extremely affective. 5 rotaries, three e-callers and 10-12 flyers. Althought we only shot 100 in three days. Alomst all of them were adults and one snow was double banded. I typically hunt SoDak mainly because it seems like they tend to stage there for a bit longer than Nodak. Has anyone seen consistantly good numbers in the Nodak area throughout the past years?

Fishhaulic- 1900 decoys is PLENTY. From the guys I've talked to (guides included) when you get around the 2000 mark more isn't necessarily better. If you can spend your money on a third e-caller with that many decoys it would probably be better. Unless the two e-callers you already have are the big ones that you can put twelve speakers on. Make sure your sound is spread out around the spread.

Shane- I have hunted Nodak the past two years and the concentrations have been amazing. People say Nodak is a flyover state but I disagree. I prefer Nodak because the pressure is WAY less. No guide services in Nodak. This year I'm going to hunt sodak, however, since my friends I hunt with will be guiding out there for 10 days before I show up.

Gordie- By the sounds it of, the storm scattered the birds in every which direction trapping some North of the storm as well.I'm sure it's wreaking havoc on the guides right now, but next week should pull the migration together(somewhat). Talking to a few buddies who are hunting in the Missouri area, a good number pushed S/SE.

Judging by the snow cover in N. Nebraska/S. South Dakota, it looks like it may be another goofy migration. I could see snows in that area in as little as 2 weeks. Maybe I'm way off though confused

More snow for the Dakota's! Another 6-8"!

Looks like the end of March and into April before the snow melts enough for the snow's to migrate north!

You never know: one good rain and a few days of 40-degree weather would melt a lot of snow in a hurry. I've seen a good six inches of ground cover literally disappear over night.

Sounds like lots of rigs headed for sodak to play with the leading edge birds. Looks like they will stall out there for awhile. If I had it in the budget this year, I would guess my green beer would be enjoyed somewhere between Soiux Falls and Mitchell. A lot of weather to come yet but looking like Easter will be at nodak camp. Time to start prepping gear this weekend. Going to be close with work. Early start on one of our jobs this season that I may have to help with.