• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Randy Moss proclaims himself the greatest receiver of all time

fishersofmen

Randy Moss has never been shy, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he gave the first great sound byte of Super Bowl media day on Tuesday. The veteran San Francisco 49ers receiver was asked if he thought he was the greatest receiver of all time.

And, well, he liked the question.

"Now that I'm older, I do think I'm the greatest receiver to ever do it," Moss said, as you can see in the NFL Network clip above. "I don't think numbers stand. Because you can talk about this and this, I think I've had ... this year has been a down year for me statistically. The year before I retired was a down year, and Oakland was a down year. I don't really live on numbers I really live on impact and what you're able to do on that field.

"So I really do think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."

After cutting away from Moss' podium, the NFL Network's immediately started talking about what everyone who heard it was thinking.

Cowboys Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin tried stammering out an answer before just pointing out the obvious. Namely that Randy Moss isn't even the greatest receiver to ever wear a 49ers uniform.

"Bar none, nobody's having a conversation — it's Jerry Rice, period," Irvin said.

"You know Jerry Rice just swallowed his tongue hearing that," Rich Eisen said.

"And he should have," Irvin said.

That's all very true. Rice is far ahead of anyone when it comes to the discussion of the best receiver in NFL history. But Moss certainly is on a very short list for being the second best receiver ever, with his 15,292 yards and 156 touchdowns.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he said it himself. whistle

"I don't think numbers stand. Because you can talk about this and this, I think I've had ... this year has been a down year for me statistically. The year before I retired was a down year, and Oakland was a down year. I don't really live on numbers.

What a waste he has made of himself, of what he could have been if he would have worked with the people that were trying to help him.

What will he be in the Headlines in 10 years as! Homeless? confused

big deal. he answered honestly. i bet at least 10-20% of the active players think they're the greatest to ever play their respective position.

I'd take Moss in his prime over Rice all day. You put Moss in Rices situation and the numbers would be there and then some.

Yes, I get most of you hate Moss personally and like Jerry as he was a mellow seemingly likeable person. I'm not even going to go into Rices obvious weakness's that he had out of respect for what he accomplished in a perfect situation.

And who cares what Michale Irvin has to say!

Best ever? Rice has that one alone. There isnt even a chance that Moss fits in best ever. Best in prime, Moss. 2nd best, Moss. Best ever, Rice.

Randy would need to come back next year and have a 1500 yard season, and follow that up with another good season, then retire, before putting Moss in talks about best ever.

Rice was just really good for many years. Moss was awesome for a couple years, then lucky to mediocre for the rest of it.

I don't have a problem with Randy's comments. Both are outstanding recievers, but it really is hard to compare. Rice played with better quarterbacks, he was a precise route runner and with young/montana they tore up defenses. With moss the quarterback would stand back and chuck it and Moss would go get it. After moss's breakout season, opposing teams changed the way they draft. They had to have tall fast guys to try to match up with him. Teams had to have 2, 3, 4 guys deep to slow him down. In there prime both were almost impossible to stop. Both with be in the HOF and both were game changers.

Best ever? Heck no.

But he did have a pretty big impact. When he came into the league he did change the dynamics. Think about how many D-backs Green Bay drafted trying to figure out a way to stop Moss. When one man forces another team to alter draft strategy that is what you call making an impact.

But still, the best ever talk is just stupid. He's one of the best ever but Rice is the best, a fact that I'm sure Rice would also be happy to point out as he has his own ego to stroke.

I dont know how anybody can dispute that he is the best ever. He has best ever total numbers, yeah he had a couple down seasons here and there but he also had many HOF seasons. He was more of a threat than any other receiver that has played the game. And besides Brady, he didnt have much for a QB throwing his way. G.O.A.T!!!

Puke of a guy though. I think too many of you are looking at the person not the player

The greatest receiver of all time would never walk off the field without his team and the game being over. If he and Jerry are sorta like equals give the nod to the guy that while he played wasn't above any other teammate, it's got to be Jerry really, who ran actual routes, who didn't sandbag on plays when they weren't a factor, just stats fine, but lets not conduct a parade for Moss. Sad thing is Moss could've blew Jerry out of the water really, but he didn't want to put 100% effort into football, outside of when he was getting the ball. He's certainly surely mentioned with Jerry Rice no doubt.

I can buy into the Moss argument, if the narrow definition is as a "receiver" and not the greatest WR. Rice and Hutson were the greatest at the position, Randy could stake claim to being the greatest receiver - i.e. most talented.

Rice out-hustled and out-worked every other receiver. Hutson dominated the sport, so much more so than Moss every did. Had Randy actually put his great talent to use every day, blocked, and actually tried...he would easily be the greatest WR without question. Unfortunately, he'll have to settle for one of the greatest "receivers" in my mind.

I dont know how anybody can dispute that he is the best ever. He has best ever total numbers

Actually Rice's numbers are better in every major category.

Rice has 6 seasons on Moss. For Moss to equal Rice's numbers he would need to average 95 receptions, 1267 yards, and 7 TD's per season for the next 6 years.

I never said he has the greatest numbers I said he has "best ever" numbers, maybe I should have put quotations the first time. But to say just because a player holds the records doesnt mean they are the best. It comes down to opinions, mine is that Moss is the best ever, just like Pete Rose is the best ever, just like Bo Jackson is the best ever, just like Jordan is the best ever, and just like Lemieux is the best ever. Those are my opinions, out of my opinions I am not flat out saying that any other could not be considered. I think Rice can be considered, but if I were to put any receiver of all time on my squad my first pick would be Moss, more of a threat and game changer than anybody else. I bet if Randy didnt have his issues and wasnt a trouble maker many of you would have a different tone about his NFL career, not personal.

I never said he has the greatest numbers I said he has "best ever" numbers, maybe I should have put quotations the first time.

What exactly does it mean that he has the "best ever" numbers? You'll have to explain how someones numbers can be better when they are lower.

I agree numbers don't tell the whole story. The rest of the story is told by Moss quiting on his team, taking plays off, and generally be not being as well rounded of a player at Rice.