• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting my Lab down

Dbl

I always try to read these posts when they crop up and have often responded to them hoping a kind word might mute the pain. Selfish I suppose knowing that one day I will be faced with dealing with the loss of another friend.

Unfortunately I received sad news about our best friend Wilson, our black British lab pictured in my avatar. He has had some health issues the last few weeks and we confirmed our worst fears today when it is suspected he has a very fast moving lymphoma. We hope he can have a few peaceful days at home and is pain-free until Wednesday. We will have an at home vet come to our house and help ease his and our pain.

Wilson was just shy of 9 years old, just hitting his stride! We all have had pets or should I say extended members of our family that do become one of the household. Wilson was one of our special ones, he was a joy to have! I personally will have lost a great hunting partner, fishing buddy and great companion who unconditionally was always there for myself and our family . All you could ever hope for in a dog!

When you go to bed tonight please say a small prayer for Wilson and our family. We have some deep pain that time will eventually heal I know. Scratch your buddies head and give him/her a hug and make sure your days with your pal are ones that bring joy to both of you.

IMG_6977%20sky%20f-XL.jpg

One of the toughest things I have had to do several times.

When I put my last best friend down, the Vet asked if I would like to be there when he put Mickie to sleep.

I did not like the idea but my vet said it would be easier if I satyed with her while she was put to rest.

I held Mick while the Doc gave her a shot to mellow her out and then he gave her the final shot to put her out of her pain.

Best thing I have ever done as I knew she did not suffer one bit. It was hard holding Mick as she passed but she was never alone.

Had Mick cremated and buried her by the back patio.

Every summer while I sit on the patio, one can hear me talking to Mick like she is still with us.

I do feel for you all.

Sorry to hear that. My lab was my best buddy, part of the family. When we had to put him down it was one of the hardest things, I lost my hunting partner. It all be tough, but things will get better. Just think of all the good times had. Keep your head up!

DBL...

Sorry to hear of the bad news with Wilson. Give him some extra lovin', spoiling and a few added pics... Celebrate having him around these last few days and it will help ease the pain. It will not erase it, nor stop you from crying when you say your last goodbye, but putting smiles on your face between now and then will lighten your heart.

That dang Lymphoma gets them quick. I waited too long with one dog and it was not good... you sound like you are taking a good tact with scheduling things in advance...

Good Luck to you and your family over the next few days... Let Wilson know what a good dog he's been!

Godspeed Wilson!

Ken

Condolences to you and your family. One thing that will never go away is the great memories that you guys had with him. You were able to give your buddy a life that so few dogs have the opportunity of having and he loved you for that. 9 years of fun and excitement in the outdoors is better than 16 years with a family that ignores him or that passes him around from family to family. I know there is little to say that is going to ease any pain from your loss, I wish your buddy the best journey on his way to doggy heaven.

I really hesitated about posting, I normally keep matters like this private. But who better understands than like-minded dog owners? Thank you all for the encouraging words, I always hoped mine made just a fraction of a difference when making a comment on a post like this. I now believe that is true. Your words do make a difference and I and Wilson thank each of you for that.

This was difficult because we are leaving for 12 days on Friday. When we conferred with our vet we hoped for two outcomes. This is not the one we wanted, spending a month or two saying goodbye would have eased the pain a bit. But knowing he might take a turn for the worse while I was gone was harder yet and just not acceptable to me. I told my family I would be staying home to spend his last days with me should it come to that. Wilson has made that decision for us, I truly believe in his own way he is "letting us go". One last gift that he has given us among the many in his lifetime. I will be forever grateful for our time together.

Thank you all again.

Sorry about the news on your friend. My boy will be 9 years old in 2 days so I feel your pain. My last one got a few days of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders with Cheeses. I believe you are doing it the right way - that shows great respect for your dog.

We put our yellow down a little over a year ago. It was really tough on my family. He was our first "child" when we got married. My oldest boy took it the hardest. When I had to tell him that I was taking Kody to the vet, I've never heard him cry that hard.

I held Kody while he went through the procedure. It's the best decision that I never want to do again. It's also the most peaceful thing I've been a part of.

Even though we now have an eight month old black British lab, I still think about Kody often. Now it's more about all the happy times...things that he did that made me laugh. I miss him, but know it was the right thing to do. They love us too unconditionally to make them suffer. Your gut is telling you it's time, and it is. Wilson knows it too. My thoughts are with you and your boy...

Dan,

Sorry to hear the bad news, been in your shoes before and will be again,we have 3 and one is going on 13 and she's not getting any younger. As hard as it may seem I always have been in the room with them when they take there last breath, I feel I owe them that. All I can say is give him lots of love the last few days and cherrish the memories, that I know are supported by alot of photo's. And in due time don't let this stop you from giving another dog a great life.

Losing a pet is only something that only another pet owner can really grasp. I liken the experience to a father having a child and being in the delivery room. Trying to explain that emotion is hard to do to a father who has not yet experienced that experience. But share the experience with another father who has had the same experience and no words are needed. Just a nod and it all comes back. Losing a pet is the same kind of thing, so many memories all fold in to one that you can't share it really with someone but yet for those of us who have lost a pet I feel your pain and your relief, your joy and your sorrow. Losing a pet can make grown men cry and not care who sees them. They are only pets to someone else, to us that is the last thing they are. I am truly sorry for your loss and I hope you realize there are many around here who share your loss and hope you find a way to fill the emptiness with out forgetting the fulness that your dog brought too you, Bobby

So sorry for your loss. When I put mine down I cried the hardest of my adult life. It is amazing how attached we become to our critters. While it is hard remember, the reason we live longer then our dogs is so we can create memories with many over our lifetimes. Don't dwell on what you lost. Be happy for what you had. If you keep the good memories alive a part of that dog you put down will live on foreve in your heart. May you find comfort and may Wilson rest well. Take care and God bless!

Dan

I am sorry for the pain that you and your family are suffering. Not everyone gets what it is like losing a dog - we do. I have shed more tears for losing a dog than I have at some family members funerals. I hope you and your family skip work\school and spend some quality time with the pooch. You are in our thoughts.

Pikester

Wishing I would not have read this at work. My eyes are leaking water.

You are not alone my friend; many of us have been where you are today. It is far more painful than some people would imagine. Cancer took my wonderful Annie from me late last summer. I still remember her almost every day. And I think of my old pal Jake frequentlly too. And early fall makes me remember Sam.....or "silly Sam" as we called him because he was a dog with a sense of humor. Then there was Mike.....broke my heart when I said goodbye to him. I'm sure I will see them all again in a special place.

But now......I have Abby. She is five months today and we are busy planning all the warm and exciting things we are going to do together. I've told her about all the others before her. She seems okay with it and is ready to do new things.

Your dog will always be with you.