• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a custom laptop

Scott K

I am looking at new laptops, and was wondering is there a place that will custom build you a laptop? I need a large hard drive 2TB, and need it to be internal. I usually just buy a laptop, then add in the largest hard drives they make into it, at the time.

I have one program that requires 1.3Tb alone, and I have ran out of room on my laptop, plus i am having fan troubles again with it, so I figured it is just time to cut losses, and get a new one. Is there a brand that will build it to your needs? Rather then just buying one, then modifying it afterwards?

I am looking at new laptops, and was wondering is there a place that will custom build you a laptop? I need a large hard drive 2TB, and need it to be internal. I usually just buy a laptop, then add in the largest hard drives they make into it, at the time.

Dell will build you a laptop to your specs. However I think you should just buy a new laptop ($600-1000), then just image the laptop to one of these...probably cheaper than having Dell do it.

2TB laptop HDD

HP ENVY 17 EXTREME Notebook 256GB SSD + 2 TB 16GB RAM (Intel Core i7 EXTREME i7-3920XM third generation Quad Processor - 2.90GHz with TURBO BOOST to 3.80GHz, 16 GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 2 TB Hard Drive 2256 GB total, BLU-RAY drive, BEATS AUDIO, 17.3-inch WIDESCREEN display, Windows 7) DESKTOP REPLACEMENT Laptop PC

As seen on Amazon for $2799

Aint' gonna be cheap.

HP ENVY 17 EXTREME Notebook 256GB SSD + 2 TB 16GB RAM (Intel Core i7 EXTREME i7-3920XM third generation Quad Processor - 2.90GHz with TURBO BOOST to 3.80GHz, 16 GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 2 TB Hard Drive 2256 GB total, BLU-RAY drive, BEATS AUDIO, 17.3-inch WIDESCREEN display, Windows 7) DESKTOP REPLACEMENT Laptop PC

As seen on Amazon for $2799

Aint' gonna be cheap.

Awesome!

But I dont need all of the other fluff. I just need the large storage space, with a decent processor. I have gone external in the past, but I dont like waiting 2-5 seconds in between clicking, having to wait for the information from the external. I have had some success with just having all of the info on a pc, then just do remote access, but that can be a pain as well. I was going to try storing it on the cloud, but I would assume, that will take awhile to access the info as well, and if I am having problems with the internet, I am sol.

If you are only going to be using it local(around the house or shop) and you just needs data storage, think about a NAS(Network Attached Storage) basically a device that sits on your network that acts as a file server. I have seen 2 TB devices for under 150. And if you have a wireless N capable router and laptop and assuming a 100 MB connection on the router ports, you should rather quick look up access to your data.

I did some looking quick and didn't find a lower end laptop with 2 TB drive capabilities.

Here is another one that can be configured with a 2 TB drive at less than $1300.

Customize your ENVY dv7t-7200 Quad Edition series. I would suggest going to the HP site and messing with the option for that laptop. I tried to copy and paste the options I had but it just got too ugly.

I just played in the Dell site, it looks like the Alienware M17x, and M18x can be loaded with 2 1tb hard drives. The M17 with them is about $1900. I hate electronics mad

For that money, it should be expected to last 5 years. But, by then I will need 5tb storage.

4WE if it is just storage, think a little harder about the NAS Solution. Wireless N would support over 100 mb per second and so would the standard router/switch port. And you could easily get over 2 TB of storage.

Western Digital has a 3 TB device for $179 @ Walmart.

The program itself does not require that much space but the data which comes along (purchased) with it and the data it collects does. I assume automotive manuals and information and client information?

Qosmio X870-BT3G23 Laptop with the 1tb drive upgrade and adding in the second yourself. They come with no Secondary Hard Drive but I am positive if you look further the drive location is just not dead space but has a sata connector. Just get a second 1tb drive and slip it in. They currently run around $1000 with the specs below but if you dig around this price should include the 1tb upgrade.

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM quad core processor

Windows 8

4GB DDR3 memory

750GB 5400 RPM storage

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M 3GB with Optimus™

DVD Supermulti drive

Premium Raised Tile LED-Backlit Keyboard

1600x900 TruBrite® display

802.11b/g/n wireless

HDMI output

Integrated 2MP (1080p) webcam

I just played in the Dell site, it looks like the Alienware M17x, and M18x can be loaded with 2 1tb hard drives. The M17 with them is about $1900. I hate electronics mad

For that money, it should be expected to last 5 years. But, by then I will need 5tb storage.

With all that heat crammed in a laptop I wouldn't bank on 5 years.

Why must this be a laptop...they suck for cost vs. performance and reliability compared to a desktop. IMO, of course.

It is for service manuals, and other auto, work related information. Right now Alldata's disks are 1.3TB alone, then I have Mitchell's, Autodata, factory stuff, on top of all the other stuff one has to have.

I know it is all available online, but online isnt the quickest. I like the information there as soon as I click the mouse. While I am on the phone looking up information for clients, it makes me seem smarter when I can tell them the procedure, or spec, or explain a circuit within a couple seconds of them asking me, rather then me telling them, just hold on, my computer is slow today, I have to wait for the computer. Or dang, the internet is slow today. Perception in key when you deal in live tech support.

The reason for a laptop vs a PC is obvious, portability.

These days there is USB 3.0, faster flavors of IEEE 1394/Firewire, eSATA, etc. all of which are quite a bit faster than what you may have had with USB 1.1 or USB 2.0.

There there are settings to make to keep the disk from spinning down after "X" period of time and that sort of thing too factor into reduced time to get the data.

The quality of the external drive can make a difference too. Some drives are faster than others. Each individual hit may not seem like a big difference but cumulative it can make a difference if you're hitting the drive alot.

About portability, yeah, I get that but is that how you actually use this particular computer? I know lots of people that have laptops "for portabililty" that seldom if ever leave their desk.

I thought about trying a newer, faster external, but I only have a USB 2.0 in mine now, I havent read up on the 3.0 to see how much it is faster.

As far as portable, I would say 3 days a week it is sitting on my desk, the other times, it is in the garage with me, in the boat, at the cabin, on vacation with me. So, I do need access to is during those times. If I decide to keep the laptop I have, I am going to have to try something, because the new updates wont fit in my hard drives. So I havent installed them yet. If I do get a new one, then I will more then likely just get 2 new 1tb hard drives and load the stuff on that. I really dont wantto spend $2k+ for work. I would much rather spend it on something practical, like a scary black gun smile