• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 chrysler t and c tranny questions

2002 chrysler t&c van 160,000 miles. while driving home it started smelling burnt couldnt tell what it was. the interior reeks got out smelled the motor tranny area. couldnt detect any thing brought it to the shop. they havent looked at it yet. this winter noticed some dripping in the front by some wires on the tranny kept close eye on fluid level never needed any the shop says it could be a valve body? not sure. i checked the fluids didnt smell at all. this sound right. so if i need a new one i still owe on it. a reman is $1600 i called around i,m guessing another grand to put it in i would rather just put a used one in for $500 and get rid of it what would you do.

The trans was not slipping and the fluid was not burnt, and your not sure where they smell was coming from, why would you be thinking you need a transmission?

The valve body is external and a common source for leaks. There are fairly simple to replace and not that expensive.

Are you sure it wasn't coolant burning on the exhaust or even brakes burning?

I'd wait to hear from the shop.

thanks jeremy i trust your advice. i will wait to hear from the shop. i thought maybe it might be the trans because it smelled like a car i took to the scrap a year ago but it was slipping and i knew it was dead. i hope i get lucky and its not the trans. or motor thanks i'll keep updated

I was thinking the same as Jer when I read your post. If the trans is working and shifting normally and the fluid doesnt smell I see no reason to suspect it.

If the smell is only inside the car and not under the hood, it could be something electrical like a heater resistor or connector starting to burn or maybe a heater blower motor starting to go.

When electrical connectors start to melt they smell really bad! Is there any other accessories that have acted up recently? sick

Its hard to me to believe you can see the valve body leaking on the ground, this is an internal part. Are you sure it wasn't the silonoid pack? This is on the front of the transmission and they are prone to leaking bc of the expanding and contracting of the plastic and the alum.