• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your favorite way of transporting rods?

slick2526

I have never looked at buying a rod back, case, or a bucket buddy to hold your rods. I have always just put mine in a bucket with a tackle box and carried them this way. I decided its time to quit being a dinosaur and use a system that's actually made for carrying rods.

So what do you guys find and the most convenient to transport your rods when staying portable? I don't mind paying money for a nice rod bag, case, or a bucket set up as long as its going to last. I dont like buying junk.

I guess I would like something that easy to access my rods, put them back, and isn't big and bulky. I like to carry six rods and normally one tip up and some times two. I would to also be able to store my tackle box in the the rod holder also. So what brands and styles of rod holders do you like and why?

If your looking for a bigger case I would go with the Clam, plenty of room for rods, reels ans some gear. If you are looking for something a bit smaller to carry 2-3 combos, I would lok at the St. Croix bags. I have both and like each one for what it is.

Otter Box...I can fit 5-6 rod and reel combos without folding down the handles and it has yet to fail me. I have even tested it at times when I am frusterated and don't have patience and have just thrown my rod case out of the ice house or on the floor of my garage and it has kept everything in perfect shape.

I have 2 Otter rod boxes and they work well, won't break a rod in this box unless one is very careless. A bit bulky put protects the rods very well.

I have 3 other rod bags that are not made any longer but they are even better than my Otter boxes as they are less bulky. Just cannot remember the name.

I use the Clam rod locker. I keep 6 rods in there. I do have to fold down the handles but that is not that big of a deal. I looked at them all before I made my decision. There are lots of great choices out there when you start to add in gun/bow cases, but for me when I factored in the storability of the empty case in the fish house, I went with the Clam.

I was at Lake of The Woods fishing with a Friend at the time he worked as a guide for Border View (i think) He had a bag from JR's called the Guide!! Nice bag Can Hold 8 rods, 2 tip ups , two small tackle boxes, and still a nother zippered compartment. All together there are 5 zippered compartments.

full-8783-29530-rodstorage.jpg

I made some of these this year for my GM rod bag. I have five setup in the bag this keeps them tangle free and protected. Also very cheap to do. I would like to get a rod locker type storage but they take up so much space in my Fish Trap Pro...

forget all this talk about otter rod cases and such. pull out your hardside plastic gun case and use that. I use a single and it will hold 6 rods - albiet a bit snug - so a double gun case would be better. Go to your local farm and fleet store and pick one up for under $40.

full-8783-29530-rodstorage.jpg

I made some of these this year for my GM rod bag. I have five setup in the bag this keeps them tangle free and protected. Also very cheap to do. I would like to get a rod locker type storage but they take up so much space in my Fish Trap Pro...

I really those tubes you have.

I use this setup also but I purchased rod tubes at TB in Blaine, the edges of the tubes are coated so the tube itself doesn't harm the line on a setup rod when applied. for long term storage (over summer) I place my rods in either expedition cases or lakewoods cases but any of the hard cases will work... good fishin!!