• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer for ATV and portable fishhouse

mtheis

Hi Guys,

I feel the desire to step up my ice fishing. I am also getting old! What I want to do is purchase a trailer that can tow an ATV (that I haven't purchased yet) and my Otter Lodge. I have done some research and I will probably need a 7foot x 12foot trailer. I want something to make it easier on myself to load the Otter, drive up on the trailer and off I go. I will also use the ATV for deer hunting.

What are your suggestions? What should I look for?

Thanks!

You may want to go to a 14' trailer. The newer ATV's are not getting any smaller and you need a 6 and a 1/2' box to fit. Add a 6' otter sled with a tent on it and you are well over 12'. I have seen a 6x14 used to haul an ATV and otter house and it worked real well. You could also get 2 ATVs on the same trailer if needed.

I'm in the same situation of needing a trailer and thought a utility style trailer would be the best route other than going to a full enclosed. You could go with a 10' trailer and 7' wide and the house sled wouldn't quite lay flat if you went perpendicular. Or just go with a snowmobile trailer and the drive on/off ramps. That way in the summer you could also haul 2 quads.

I still haven't decided the route I want to take yet.

I have an Aluma 8114 (81 inches across and 14 feet long). It is light, very well built and fits two four wheelers front to back with room to spare (also can fit three four wheelers side by side by side). Only drawback is that it is noisy.

We just got an aluma 7814 and we love it. It is big enough for 2 wheelers or a wheeler and an otter lodge plus some. It is nice because it has 2-3ft sides all the way around and it keeps the junk off your toys for the most part and it is very easy to load.

I am in all likelihood buying a 83" by 14' PJ trailer tomorrow. Aluma's are VERY nice trailers, but they are also VERY spendy.

The trailer I am looking at has a rear ramp that folds down for loading and 10" rails all around the deck.

On the front sides the rails remove and can be used as an atv ramp for side loading an atv on the front of the trailer.

I also have an otter lodge fish house and my ultimate goal was going to be drive my rig with fish house in tow right up on the trailer, secure it and be off.

The only thing is the otter lodge with the tow bar is almost 9 feet in length so in order for this to truly work you will need a 16 foot trailer in all likelihood.

Soo, I plan to either front load my ATV sideways with the house in the rear OR drive the rig straight on and unhook the house and push the hitch beneath the wheeler which I think will work just perfectly.

I am so tired of using a snowmobile trailer for my atv.

It has been nothing but a PITA and those little dang tires are just terrible down the road.

This new trailer has 14" tires which should trailer much nicer and wear better too.

I plan to add a couple tie down spots on the bed of the trailer to lock things in place.

I have learned that trailering outdoor equipment is an evolutionary experience. Starting off with a simple trailer such as a snowmobile trailer, then moving up to a heavier duty, larger wheeled, ramped trailer and tarps, to a fully enclosed trailer. All the road dump on the stuff and the tarping gets old after awhile.

I also have an otter lodge fish house and my ultimate goal was going to be drive my rig with fish house in tow right up on the trailer, secure it and be off.

The only thing is the otter lodge with the tow bar is almost 9 feet in length so in order for this to truly work you will need a 16 foot trailer in all likelihood.

That's my goal too, I always thought just pulling it right up the ramp would be the way to go, especially in the dark. Good to know about size.

Another reason for me to get an enclosed trailer would be security of your gear, especially if its sitting in a parking lot all day. Currently I load my portable into my pickup, pack all my fishing gear and clothes, goto work, then change at work and go right to my fishing lake. Sure helps when the days are short. Once I graduate up to a 4-wheeler, would like to be able to do the same thing, an enclosed trailer would keep your gear safe.

The enclosed trailer might double as a storage unit for the portable and other ice gear in the summer if its mouse proof.

Good post, keep the ideas coming!!