• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Methane Hole on Horseshoe Lake

DTro

I do a lot of winter catfishing up on this chain of lakes and the "Meth" hole is a popular spot, (in fact we had our annual get together there yesterday).

Everyone always asks why they call it the meth hole and what does it mean.

Basically methane gas bubbles in this particular area rise fast and often enough to keep the water open all year. The depth below the hole is about 50ft and the ice I'm standing on to take this video was about 24".

A few years ago a guy had his camera down close to there and told me to come and look. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. There was a vehicle down there! Seems years ago (70's) a car went down and they couldn't find it to get it out. They had the Sherriff dept out there and they decided to leave it, would do more bad than good at this point. There was a report in cuffs and collars in outdoor news. The locals remember when this happened.

Many counties stopped marking things for liability reasons....sounds weird right? Whats wrong with marking known bad areas? Well, lawyers essentially started a loophole sue tactics whereby even in cases of stupidity, they would go after the county because, since they marked some bad areas, they were being found negligent because they did not mark them all. Where do you draw the line? Rocks, shallow reefs, .....even the the shore? Or as Papa Grump mentions, then they were also responsible for not putting the sign back up when someone would knock it down.Too many places to mark and maintain ....counties just said the heck with it, and you cant blame them.

I am 46 and have lived near and fished the chain my whole life . I know of some vehicles going through in the meth hole over the years but never heard of one being left there. I dont doubt the find just a little curious about why it would be left as i have seen them retrieve a few out of the hole over the years. I have to admit our local warden years ago was one of the trucks crazy you would think he would of known better. As far as marking our local sportsmans club dnr and sherriffs department all use to mark the area guess they quit marking it because of liability issues. Most locals know of the area and avoid it that is why the road out leads around and close to Hammers point.