• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken Ideas

Alright boys,

My better half gets sick of certain foods periodically. For a while it was hamburgers, then it was fish, and more recently it's been chicken. She's about ready to break out of that funk but it's usually a mental image of the same old chicken. I usually can break her out by doing something a little more unusual. I've got a million cookbooks scattered around, but I'll put it out to you.

Anyone have a good chicken idea for dinner?

Here's one I came up with some years ago...

Lime chicken with salsa

3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts

3/4 tsp cracked black pepper

3/4 tsp chili powder

3/4 tsp smoked chipotle powder

1 Tbsp chopped chives (preferably fresh)

Two limes, juice squeezed out, saved and cut into wedges

One jar of chunky-style salsa

Cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/3 cup of any vegetable oil

Rub chicken well with the lime juice, (Or marinate in baggie with lime juice for an hour or so) reserving the rest. Sprinkle breasts (Chicken!) with the black pepper, chili powder, and chipotle powder. Heat oil in a 12" saute pan over med heat. Add chicken, cook about 3-4 minutes,then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Lighty drizzle rest of lime juice over breasts (chicken!), then spoon about 1- 2 lg Tbsp of salsa on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle with chives, then generously with shredded cheddar, cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until cheddar is melted. Remove cover and let chicken rest in pan for 1-2 minutes before serving with lime wedges. Enjoy!!

Or......McCormick makes some "Perfect Pinch" Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning, I sprinkle that liberally on my skinned chicken parts, then slather on a mixture of FRESH Orange juice and apricot jam. Bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes. OR....sprinkle with the some Cajun seasoning, then brush on Trader Joe's Smoky Peach Salsa (heavenly stuff)and bake as usual. That should get ya started... grin

Here are some ideas i've done recently:

Tequila lime chicken - keep in mind that man law dictates no bottle of tequila shall be opened without at least 1 shot being consumed.

Breaded chicken tenders - I use a mix of panko breading and corn meal and then seasoned in a variety of ways.

If you have the grill or smoker out still I like doing chickn leg quarters. I've done them in a variety of ways including a jamacian jerk, smoked with a BBQ rub and sauce, smoked with an herb rub and then finished with a fresh pesto type sauce, etc...

I also use chicken in various types of curry. This is an easy one for after work when you need a quick dinner.

If you want to use legs or wings you could do baked drumsticks or wings. I usually come up with some sort of homemade rub and work it in good and then bake for 30-45 mintues or so. You can add sauce toward the end if you choose or leave dry.

I'm sure there are more but that aren't coming to mind right now.

Put some balsamic vinegar and some sort of berry jam on some breasts while cooking, forms a great caramelized crust.

Like mentioned above, curried is always a nice change of pace, or in the same vein ...tandoori.

When you go back to holyland pick up their custom chicken spice blend. Think its 5 bucks, a ton of it, tasty, and will last you for ever.

Every once in a while will get a bug for chicken salad sandwich....or add a few grapes and cashews for non bun type serving.

Ooohhh....lettuce wraps!.....a little bit of chicken stock, oyster sauce, sherry/white wine, garlic, onion, chili paste.

We take chicken breast put them on a bed of precoocked rice throw on a couple of cans of cream of chicken add some mushrooms and bake for 1 hour at 350.

Add the spices you want if you dont it can taste pretty bland.

Take a few “dry& worthless”… smile chicken breasts meat/tenders….make up a great beer batter…coat the tenders and deep fry them bit…….. lay a couple of’em… into a great hoagie roll …say on, a bed of “med-fine shredded” iceberg lettuce …. top with a mayo based sauce of your choice- be a little pick’s on the sauce here to get the taste right (or make your own) add a bit more lettuce …. = more good chic eats .