• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Herring.

I finally found my Grandmothers herring recipe. It is the one that she used for many, many years and grew to love.

I have posted her original recipe and I have only done one thing different and that was use tender quick as the salt instaed of regular salt like she used.

1 cup tender quick to a gallon of water.

Grandma's recipe

full-15313-29333-grandmasherringrecipie.

I also added some pickled serrento peppers and crushed hot pepper to a few of the jars to give it extra zing.

I also made the brine that goes in the jars the same time that I put fish in vinagar and keep in fridge I think it helps blend all the spices together.

I hope you enjoy, I know I am and so did Acherysniper he almost ate the jar it came in.

Grandmas recipes where always best.

I see she added "lemon if you like". Did this with the last batch I made, and will be in every other batch from here on out. Was very good.

Thanks Gordie! Now just need to get me some fish....

I was not sure, I guess it was, and that is why I used the tender quick and it turned out great. 1 cup to a gallon of water then put fish in a plastic container like a ice pail then put salt/water over them. let stand in fridge for 24hrs then soak in vinagar for five days. At least thats what I did.

I think grandma's use a recipe not for others but for herself and I am unable to ask that question as she is gone and my dad and his sisters do not know either.

I am confused by your one cup tender quick to a gallon of water comment- if I am reading the recipe correctly it is 2 quarts fish, 1 1/4 cup salt and cover with vinegar to soak in the fridge- do you add water to this also? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Never mind, I see you replied regarding this.

Love to see recipe preservation in action, and I too like the idea of adding lemon. Wish I would have seen this a few days ago, as I have a big batch of northern that I just finished the salt water soak and the vinegar soak, and assembled the fish, onion, and pickling brine last night. Looking forward to trying it next week, as it is my first batch! Did lots of research here before thawing out some northern; thanks to all who post their questions, answers, and other input!

This is very close to the recipe I use. Here is a little more detail if anyone cares.

Use a 1 gallon jug

½ gallon fish chunks about 1” squares or so

1 1/3 cup pickling/canning salt

Layer the fish in the jug and pour salt over each layer until gone

Fill jug with white vinegar with about 2-3 inches of vinegar over the top of the fish. Gently shake the jug.

Leave refrigerated for 5 full days. Gently shake/mix jug daily to ensure it stays mixed good.

Take fish and discard vinegar and salt mixture after 5 days in fridge. Wash the fish off with cold water throuroghly.

Place fish in a bowl with cold water and fill with ice for one hour minimum.

While fish is chilling make the final brine mix.

8 cups white vinegar

7 cups white sugar

3-4 tablespoons of pickling spice

1/3 cup white zinfandel wine

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes

Cool down brine mix in refrigerator until cold.

Slice up 2 large sweet onions.

Place layers of fish and onions in jug until full.

Pour the cold brine mix over the fish until filled.

Put in refrigerator for 3 full days.

EAT!!!!

Yep Eyeguy,

I went out to the fridge in the garage to grab a jar or pickled pike and the quarts that I did were froze solid but the pints along side of them were not. I have never had anything freeze in this fridge before. Also it is set on the lowest setting on the dial.

There were also ther things in the fridge that didn't freeze oh and these jars were in the door rack.

Just baffled

I will give this recipe a +1000. Gordie brought a pint and quart fishing yesterday for me. The pint lasted about 10 min's in my fish house and the quart the wife and daughter have almost gone.

Thank you Gordie that stuff is awesome. And those peppers in there was a great idea very tasty.

Walleye hooker,

The recipe I posted on page 1 is what I put together on paper after having watched that video....

Easier to make fish looking at a piece of paper rather than watching the vid and having to hit pause all the time. smile

and here I always thought you could multi task...