• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Anchors for hub style house

wilsonn166

If you are already going through the effort to bring out a cordless drill, why not simply use some long lag bolts with large fender washers? No need to alter a socket when the right deep-well socket is all the tool you'll need. The T-handles are only necessary if you are putting them in by hand, and a drill defeats their need. A quick trip to HD/Menards/any hardware store will get you set up for less than $10. You could even look for a 3/8" "speed wrench" with the right socket and ditch the drill and battery all together.

BTW, this isn't my idea: I read somewhere that someone was doing this and they had posted a picture showing them.

I'm going to try pre-drilling holes. I tried using one of those Clam adapters for a drill and it really wasn't all that great. I also tried adding water to the ice before putting the anchor in and that ended up freezing the anchor to the ice and I wound up bending it trying to get it out.

Hopefully pre-drilling will work better than my last attempts.

we just welded a nut on top of our current anchors

seems to work well and that way i can still use it by hand if i forget the cordless drill or it goes dead

when you bring a auger a light bait heater lp tank ect bringing a cordless drill isnt a big deal

I have the Clam drill tool. I also have 6" long 3/8" lag screws with washers tacked to them. The best method I have found is drill a 1/4" pilot hole for the factory anchors. Install them by hand so you don't over tighten. They go in easy and come out easy.

BONUS TIP: keep the notch in the D-handle toward the house when you set the anchors.

http://www.ultimateiceanchor.com/Services.html

Saw these at the MN ice show. They are a bit spendy each but I got to demo them there and they go in like Butter! After they get started, 1 finger needed. Haven't budgeted for them yet, but after a few more times anchoring my Eskimo ones in, i may be purchasing a couple.

go on the popular auction HSOforum and search "ice screws" ...they are so easy to screw into the ice you would thing you were screwing into butter...i ordered 4 for about 40 bucks total shipped (do some searching ) and got some adjustable straps to replace the strings that came with the eskimo and now set up is an absolute breeze....i HIGHLY recommend this way of doing it...no need for a drill@!1!