• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

garage furnace locked up

Tom7227

I had turned off the garage furnace but needed to crank it yesterday. When I turned it on the thermostat showed an L and the furnace wouldn't fire. I finally got out a hair dryer and warmed up the thermostat and the furnace fired up. The thermostat is a new Honeywell digital that is maybe a year old, Furnace is a used house furnace that the seller claims to have gone through and cleaned/replaced some of the minor parts.

Is there such a thing as too cold for a furnace? It probably was around 30-32 in the garage and a jug of water on the bench hadn't frozen.

I wonder if the "L" is an indication for a low battery and warming up the t-stat gave a little more life to a battery? Just a guess. I would change the batteries, cheap thing to try.

I've never heard of it being so cold that a furnace wouldn't fire. I have seen a very cold furnace short cycle when it was very cold, but it would always fire.

What model t-stat.

Stuck button, weak battery.

Since it the furnace started after warming the t-stat then I wouldn't look at the furnace as the problem, but.

If the furnace is a high efficiency say 90+ it is a condensing furnace.

There can be moisture trapped in a number of places and freeze. It can start the sequence but not fire up.

Tom,

I had the exact same thing happen on Saturday. First time I've ever seen an "L" on my digital display. I do have, and have seen a low battery indicator on my thermostat however. I wrote it off as I was turning off the furnace for the day but now I'm curious. Might have to see if I have the manual laying around.

I also experience this as I would guess that "L" means low temp as mine spells it out as low, as mine will not kick in if the garage temp is below 32 deg. I trick my thermostat with heat to think it is above 32 and once the actual temp in the garage is above 32 no issues. I do not know if tricking it is a bad idea or not, but I have done it for the past couple of years with no issues. Maybe someone can help answer that question??

Tom

My suggestion would be to get rid of the digital/programmable t-stat and go with the plain jane t-stat....heating only....if they are still available...pretty sure they are....yours probably is not listed for your application

I have an old school mercury t-stat (a square one) and I mounted it slightly tilting, so that when it is fully set to lowest temp (which I believe is about 50...) it will keep the temp of the garage at a perfect 36. I leave it at that all winter, and bump it up when working or playing out there wink It does bump my gas bill up a bit, but honestly not as much as I thought it would. Maybe $30 more in Jan and Feb, $20 more in Dec and March. And the cars are always nice and the boat never freezes wink